View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 26, 2004, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

This year Federation changed its book to allow, from the wind up position, a slight step to the side with the free foot to acknowledge what a lot of pitchers are doing, but nobody is calling: "During delivery, he may lift his non-pivot foot in a step forward, a step sideways, or in a step backward and a step forward, but he shall not otherwise lift either foot. [6.1.2]

OBR does not allow this: "With his "free" foot the pitcher may take one step backward and one step forward, but under no circumstances, to either side, that is to either the first base or third base side of the pitcher's rubber" [8.01a, comment]. Yet I have never seen this called a balk.

What about from the Set Position? I am seeing younger pitchers, who have learned bad form as Little Leaguers, continue using this side rocker step, after they have come set, and are delivering to the plate. My training was that they have to either deliver the ball to the batter, step toward an occupied base, or throw to first after having come to a complete stop.

Guidance anybody?