The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 04:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Well it appears that McGriff's has now moved to this web site.

I love coming to the site and discussing things. Rules, mechanics, case situations, whatever and getting peoples input on how they handle things.

What is sad is when "officials" feel the need to rip another official, even on a personal level, just because they do not agree with what that person said.

In my football association we have 32 crews. I can have no fear in betting my house and my daughter that none of the 32 crews work exactly the same. I was taught that you pull what you like from other officials and disreguard what you do not like. So that leaves me to interpet what is proper mechanics, for example, and what is not. Is a crew wrong if they use blue bean bags instead of white for a high school game? Is Carl or Peter or some other official wrong for using a facemask instead of a hockey style helmet like I use? No, to each is own.

Peter and I had a bit of a discussion about ejections. Is Peter wrong? Am I? No, we just have different view points on how to handle such things. Did we revert to name calling? Hell no and I still have high reguard for things Peter says and write (wrote) about in his articles and posts.

My point in all this is if you don't agree with what is being said, post your opinion on the subject and leave the name calling to the local kidergardeners. Those of us that want to continue to learn don't want to read it. If you feel the need to name call, go to your local kidergarden school and argue with them over whose Mommy is a poppy-face. They'll play that all day long.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 09:51am
Do not give a damn!!

I completely agree but it is not going to happen.

I think a lot of this is inherent in baseball umpires for some reason. I have never seen the other boards argue with each other over an article or the credibility of the writers. That just blows my mind. I know on the basketball side, there is a writer who is a long time poster. I have never once heard anyone talk about their writings or make an issue with something they do not agree with on the website. There probably has been some discussion, but never accusing people of not knowing their stuff and calling them out as a result. And the criticism is coming from guys that claim they have worked the top levels. That is amazing to me.

I am not suggesting that other officials in other sports do not have their disagreements, but there are people here that go after people with so much venom it really troubling. I guess MLB umpires have set a wonderful example, because when confronted it is acceptable to go nose to nose with coaches and players. If I did that on a basketball court, I would never work another basketball game in my career. If I did that in football, the only game I would be able to work is Pee Wee games and that would not last very long.

I think a lot of this is just the way baseball umpires feel like they have to carry themselves and deal with conflict in such a "in your face" way.

Just my opinion.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 10:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

I think a lot of this is inherent in baseball umpires for some reason. I have never seen the other boards argue with each other over an article or the credibility of the writers. That just blows my mind. I know on the basketball side, there is a writer who is a long time poster. I have never once heard anyone talk about their writings or make an issue with something they do not agree with on the website. There probably has been some discussion, but never accusing people of not knowing their stuff and calling them out as a result. And the criticism is coming from guys that claim they have worked the top levels. That is amazing to me.

I am not suggesting that other officials in other sports do not have their disagreements, but there are people here that go after people with so much venom it really troubling.

Just my opinion.

Gotta agree with that too. Some of you baseball guys just don't seem to like or respect each other very much at all, do you? Do you honestly think that your own stature is gonna magically grow if you belittle others?
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 11:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up

JR,

You and I have had some knock down drag out fights over the years. We have fought over a number of things over the years. I can honestly say, I do not remember what those battles were about or why they got started. But we have moved on from those battles and turned the page. That happens all the time on the basketball board. Of course there are people that do not like each other or may not respect each other. But it does not come out in every unrelated post and every unrelated issue. These individuals hold on to old and tired debates that no one cares about or even remembers.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

In baseball one can't hold grudges. Let's say you toss a coach (or two on the same team during a game), it should all be behind you the next time you work one of their games. If they won't leave it behind, that's their problem.

For those who have read Durwood Merill's book, you will remember that Durwood talks about how some managers just won't leave an ejection behind. And there are some guys (I remember Lou Piniella in particular) who will be joking around and be normal the following day.

It helps no one to dwell on disagreements or to throw comments at certain posters. The purpose of this board is for umpires to discuss rules and situations, and umpire related subjects.

Let's use the site to its potential and I'm sure things would flow much smoother.

-Jeremiah