The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

All you umps out there:

I don't officiate many games myself, mostly because i'm too busy playing for 4 different teams, but the other day i was talking to an umpire who told me he never really played baseball, just a couple years when he was a kid, but he's been officiating for 15 years now. We have about 10 different umpires in the league the aforementioned umpire is in and he is, in most people's opinion, the worst of the 10 umpires. My question to you all is, do you feel that experience in playing the game should be a pre-requisite to officiating the game? If not a pre-requisite do you feel it makes a better umpire or is umping just knowing the rules and officiating a lot whether you've played or not? I was just interested in what you guys think, i have no real opinion on this matter. If it's not too much trouble in responding could you please tell if you yourself have played before as well?
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 05:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not feel that it is a prerequisite at all. But it helps when you have played the game to umpire or officiate it. Not that you have to have played very long, but if you at least played at the varsity level of a sport, you can usually understand things about the game that someone that never played would understand. I think it takes someone a little longer to understand the tidbits that go on in the game when they never played. But once you become an official/umpire, you totally have to learn a different aspect of the game. Most players do not know the rules the way it is required of an umpire. So it is one thing to play, but another thing to umpire. But when you understand the strategy of the game, it helps you officiating the game. Just that simple in my opinion.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
not a prerequisite, but

playing the game puts you a step up on official who has no experience with the game. For instance, I played baseball for 15 years. I had a fairly good knowledge of the nuances and strategy of the game as well as the ability to recognize certain situations, i.e. bunt, squeeze, brush back pitch, etc. However, that said, all it did was allow me to recognize the situation that was occuring, I still have to rely on my rules knowledge and umpire philosophy in order to get the calls correct.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

I played and coached, and now umpire. It helps to know the game. There are times when I can just feel a play coming on, like a squeeze, or hit and run, or steal, because I did it as a player and called for it as a coach, and the count, the inning, the score; the situation just feels right for it. I am rarely surprised by something that is called, and usually when I am surprised it's because I don't understand why the coach did that thing in this situation. Like, why you want to try to steal third with 2 outs in a close game, when the runner is already in scoring position and can't score from 3rd on a sac fly with 2 outs?

Lee Iaccoca was asked many years ago if any good manager could run Chrysler Corporation, or did you need to know how to build cars to run Chrysler. Lee, of course, knew how to build cars. He pondered for a moment and said that any good manager could run Chrysler, but is sure did help to know how to build cars.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 09:25pm
In Memoriam

I work 4 sports.
Registered in 5.
Played in same 5.
My best sport was football, ...the one I don't work.
mick
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 09:46pm

What's the ol' adage?

If you can't play anymore, coach.
If you're to dumb to coach, umpire.
If you are to feeble to umpire, write a sports column.

Seriously, if you haven't played competitive baseball (LL on up), you are missing a beautiful part of the experience. It's one thing to see a great double play get turned, it's another to know how tough it can be or how special throwing a great deuce is. The nuances and intricacies of the game make baseball a marvelous sport. I am a better umpire because I am a player and fan. I still play in an adult league once in a while, work permitting. I see a lot of things differently as an umpire. I enjoy the game in a different way. Playing the game provided me the intuition to anticipate where a play might go or how a player will get stronger or weaker as the season goes on. I also understand the heat of the battle drama a lot more.

we are involved in the most amazing game invented. One man versus one man - yet nine against nine. Oh, and chicks dig the long ball!
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Personally, I donÂ’t think you should manage any activity you have no experience at.

I think the same applies to umpiring. A big part of umpiring is game management and a feel for what is about to happen. If you have never played, it is going take you much longer to become a good umpire.

I also donÂ’t get why someone would umpire who has never played ? Every umpire I know, has either played, coached, or both. Why else would you get involved ? If your umpiring just for the money, then like WindyCityBlue said, you are too dumb to be umpiring. If you havenÂ’t already figured it out, we are the lowest paid officials out there. Take all the time we spend preparing for a game, the cost of all our equipment (multiple uniforms on top of protective gear), clean-up after a game, maintenance and replacement of our equipment, and the time actually spent officiating into consideration. You better be doing it for love of the game, or switch to Basketball and Soccer.

Nick
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

Playing doesn't make you a better official in any sport. But I do think that you need to have an understanding of the game you are officiating. This can be done in a number of ways not just playing. Players sometimes are feel for the game officials. Not enforcing rules because they feel they are tick tack.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

...well, I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.....
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Re: A different take

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
All;

I once asked myself this same question so of course, I did a survey of umpires. I found that about one third of NCAA umpires had actually played NCAA ball. I am sure that nearly all umpires had played some level of organized baseball but I did not ask that question.

However, I can assure you that it is important to make the coaches believe that you played baseball at a high level. How you are perceived is as important as the quality of your calls.

Furthermore, to be a good umpire, you need to understand advanced strategies. This may not apply at the JV level on down, but at the NCAA level the players are too fast to be adequately covered by the two man system. Only an umpire that can predict the next play will survive.

Here is a test question to gauge what you know. A college AD (D-3) told me that he used this question when interviewing coaches. If they did not know the answer, they flunked:

Normally on a fly ball to the outfield with less than two outs, the runner at 1st (and perhaps 2nd) go halfway to the next base to see if the ball will be caught. The runner at third almost always tags up and is ready to go.

With less than two outs, name a situation where the runners at all bases always tag up and are ready to go?

You will rarely see this at anything below good varsity baseball, but an umpire needs to be ready for the runner tagging at first. I'll let someone else answer the question. When you are on a field and you see a player tagging up at first waiting for the catch in this situation, you will know that they are properly coached.

Peter
I would think any long ball to the outfield, fair or foul, where the fielder might catch it and fall down would be one good time to tag up on all bases.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
I'll take a crack but after some of my goofs this year not sure I can put myself in even the "I'm a coach of some sort" category.

Winning run on 3rd base.

a) Ball not caught - throw MUST go home. Getting R1 out at 2nd is pointless as R3 will score on such a play. R1 might just possibly provide a tempting lure.

b) Ball is caught - Throw should still be to the plate to stop R3 from scoring if possible. R1 has time to get to 2nd on the throw home if he is on the bag waiting for the catch.

Some validity as well with the tying run on third.

Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Infield fly.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

YOU ARE WHAT YOU ARE.

Those that work hard at their professions usually have good results, and in every profession we have the good, the bad and yes, even the ugly. Just read your daily newspaper. Now, when it comes to officiating, it is no different than anything else.

I officiate in both baseball and ice hockey. One I played and coached, the other I still canÂ’t play. But I truly believe that I am an excellent official in both. I personally donÂ’t believe that playing and officiating have anything to do with each other in the context of this discussion. I have seen excellent players become terrible officials, and terrible players become excellent officials, in both sports. Ninety-nine percent of the time, it is the individual that determines their destiny, both in sports and every other facet of their life. The other one percent, most times truly turns out to be part of the 99.

A good official/manager knows the parameters that they are working under and is able to clearly communicate this to the participants of the game they are involved in. They listen, assess the situation and then make a decision or no decision, as required. They also study the rules and learn tactics (mechanics) that enable them to make better decisions and enforce the rules properly, and as fairly as possible when dealing with the participants.

A GOOD OFFICIAL is usually a GOOD MANAGER and in most cases will be a good no matter what sport they officiate, or what business they are involved in.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Infield fly.
Rich;

Shame on you. And you are a coach. The correct procedure on an infield fly is to lead off just enough to beat the throw back to your base after the catch. In other words, on an infield fly to deep short, R1 is probably going a third of the way to second.

The situation that I am thinking about can have runners at any bases in all possible combinations. No one has the answer yet. I am going out for lunch and will answer it when I get back.

Peter
Foul ball.

Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Infield fly.
Rich;

Shame on you. And you are a coach. The correct procedure on an infield fly is to lead off just enough to beat the throw back to your base after the catch. In other words, on an infield fly to deep short, R1 is probably going a third of the way to second.

The situation that I am thinking about can have runners at any bases in all possible combinations. No one has the answer yet. I am going out for lunch and will answer it when I get back.

Peter
Foul ball.

Agreed. No reason to lead off. Runners will only attempt to advance if it's caught.