The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Pray tell "foul ball" folks, just how does the runner know if it's going to be foul or not? In my book, anything deep enough to advance on could be fair in most parks, and the runner should treat it like any other deep fly. Be ready to advance. Be able to retreat.
I just gave the short answer, Rich. I assumed (yeah, I know) that the meaning would be obvious in context.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Pray tell "foul ball" folks, just how does the runner know if it's going to be foul or not? In my book, anything deep enough to advance on could be fair in most parks, and the runner should treat it like any other deep fly. Be ready to advance. Be able to retreat.
Sigh.

Sounds like the typical coach who doesn't like the answer...."well how about this? How about that? What if...? In my opinion....."

Read the question as posed. The answer is as given. It's really not that hard.
The question as posed was:

"Normally on a fly ball to the outfield with less than two outs, the runner at 1st (and perhaps 2nd) go halfway to the next base to see if the ball will be caught. The runner at third almost always tags up and is ready to go.

"With less than two outs, name a situation where the runners at all bases always tag up and are ready to go?"

And while there may be many fields with ample foul ground, ther are also many without.

Medium depth fly ball down the LF line, near the line. R1 & R3. R1 knows he can't make second on a tagup, but wants to be able to get a head start if it isn't caught. So he goes part way. Ball ends up a caught foul - retreat. Ball fair/caught - retreat. Ball foul - dead - no problem. Ball drops fair - play on and run (may get a shot at 3B on a throw home or a misplay that he could not have had if he tagged up.
Again, a coach who doesn't like the answer...

Perhaps you were confused by the usage of the term "foul ball" and not a "possible" foul ball.

Time to move on coach.

So tonight I was watching a MLB game (NY/Detroit) where an infield fly was declared and the runers just went back to their bases and stood on them. But then those ML runners and coaches are too stupid too I guess.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sigh.

Sounds like the typical coach who doesn't like the answer...."well how about this? How about that? What if...? In my opinion....."

Read the question as posed. The answer is as given. It's really not that hard.
The question as posed was:

"Normally on a fly ball to the outfield with less than two outs, the runner at 1st (and perhaps 2nd) go halfway to the next base to see if the ball will be caught. The runner at third almost always tags up and is ready to go.

"With less than two outs, name a situation where the runners at all bases always tag up and are ready to go?"

And while there may be many fields with ample foul ground, ther are also many without.

Medium depth fly ball down the LF line, near the line. R1 & R3. R1 knows he can't make second on a tagup, but wants to be able to get a head start if it isn't caught. So he goes part way. Ball ends up a caught foul - retreat. Ball fair/caught - retreat. Ball foul - dead - no problem. Ball drops fair - play on and run (may get a shot at 3B on a throw home or a misplay that he could not have had if he tagged up.
Again, a coach who doesn't like the answer...

Perhaps you were confused by the usage of the term "foul ball" and not a "possible" foul ball.

Time to move on coach.

So tonight I was watching a MLB game (NY/Detroit) where an infield fly was declared and the runers just went back to their bases and stood on them. But then those ML runners and coaches are too stupid too I guess.
No they aren't stupid, but I'm beginning to suspect somebody might be.

You still don't get it. I saw the game. They went back AFTER the infield fly was called. They initially had a lead. In Bob's, Peter's, Rich's and my scenario they STAY TAGGED UP. THERE IS NO REASON FOR A LEAD. IF THE BALL IS NOT CAUGHT THEY ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE.

Is this any clearer, coach?
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

It can't be that hard.

I worked a 14U tournament earlier today. For fun I posed Peter's question to five coaches. One was also a Div III head coach, one was also a high school varsity coach and three coached only at the 14U level.

Everyone of them came up with the same answer as Bob, Peter, Rich and I did. Not one of them thought an infield fly situation was appropriate for staying tagged up.

Five for five. There is hope for the coaching fraternity.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 09:54am
Veteran College Umpire

When an infield fly is declared, runners don't go back to their bases to tag up. The go back because they know the batter is out and they are not forced to go anywhere. They have the option to tag up, but that's not why they retreat.
There seem to be an awful lot of replies to a fairly simple question. Bob had it right and the umpires who have worked and know the game knew exactly what he meant when he said, "Foul Ball". Of course there are nuances and odd twists and turns - that's baseball. For me, all I'll say is, "Atta boy, Bob"!
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
When an infield fly is declared, runners don't go back to their bases to tag up. The go back because they know the batter is out and they are not forced to go anywhere. They have the option to tag up, but that's not why they retreat.
There seem to be an awful lot of replies to a fairly simple question. Bob had it right and the umpires who have worked and know the game knew exactly what he meant when he said, "Foul Ball". Of course there are nuances and odd twists and turns - that's baseball. For me, all I'll say is, "Atta boy, Bob"!
Welcome aboard, JJ.

Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Peter:

I didn't conduct a survey to the answer the question. I ahd already answered it. I posed the question to a few coaches of varying experiences at the tournament to satisfy my own curiousity. I just needed to know if many coaches had difficulty with this concept or just a small select few. Fortunately it appears to be just the small select few.

I made no comments regarding Officiating.com because I assumed (yes, I know it's dangerous) that the coach in question was hired for his expertise in Little League rules.

Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

"They went back AFTER the infield fly was called. They initially had a lead."

Of COURSE they initially had a lead. Everyone initially has a lead at TOP. It's normal and done on every pitch. The tag-up need/lack-of-need isn't determined until the pitch is hit.

And they went back when it was called an IFF didn't they - just as I said - tag up on an IFF.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"They went back AFTER the infield fly was called. They initially had a lead."

Of COURSE they initially had a lead. Everyone initially has a lead at TOP. It's normal and done on every pitch. The tag-up need/lack-of-need isn't determined until the pitch is hit.

And they went back when it was called an IFF didn't they - just as I said - tag up on an IFF.
Good Lord, you really aren't pretending are you? You really don't understand the difference betweem taking a lead on the hit and then tagging up and tagging up immediately on the hit. You really don't understand that only in a foul fly situation do runners have no reason to be any where but on the bag ready to run. You really don't understand that on an IFF there is the possibility of not needing to tag up and runners can and do remain off the bag until the catch. You really aren't pretending are you?

Wow.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

The batter is out on an infield fly ruling, the force is off the runners. But the caught fly appeal is still in effect if the runners are off the base when caught.

I do not care if they had a lead. I only care if they are taggin the base when the ball is first touched or caught!

That is what has to be watched by us.

That is why I believe an umpire that has played the game and understands the possible scenarios of each play is better able to BE IN POSITION to make a call.