The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

I am looking into purchasing new leg guards, and I noticed the Wilson charcoal gray ones from Lesters Upstate Sports and Gerry Davis. What do you guys wear/like/recommend? Thanks
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Douglas. Great protection overall, excellent ankle protection, not bulky, and available directly from Douglas.

http://www.douglaspads.com/pc/viewCa...p?idCategory=6
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Thumbs down

I use the Rawlings Adult 5DCW. I don't like them. They are bulky and the buckle from the lower knee strap rubs my leg. I have started wearing leggings, but these are tearing up as well. I have also tried reversing the connector and the seam from the strap rubs a raw spot as well.

I have been thinking about a new set that is made a little different. A lot of guys in my association use the grey Wilson's.

What are the upper level guys using?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

I have the Wilson charcoal grays too. They're light & cool. They have an open core between the shin and my leg. I don't feel a thing on my legs when a baseball finds my shins!
Great ankle protection too.

I wear neoprene knee guards under them because I sweat a lot and any leg guards rub me raw.

I use them from Bronco-Colt (11-16 yr olds).
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Ive tried on the Wilson charcoal gray shin guards

http://gerrydavis.com/Merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=LG

are these the same ones? I found them to be very very bulky and uncomfortable; I really liked the Honig's K10 Collegiate model.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

I am no shinguard connoisseur. I use a cheap pair of Rawlings ULG and have done so for many years. I have never been hurt in the shins. If I were going to buy a set today, it would probably be the Honigs K20.

The Wilson grey looks like a very good shinguard but if I were going to routinely see 90+ MPH fastballs I might would get a set of Wilson Professionals.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 10:01am

Where do you work...what level of ball...how often do you get one on the leg???

These are important consideration. I wear the Wilson Professional - it's the black one. The inside pads are held in place by velcro and can be washed. If you work a lot of ball in the hot weather or put your gear away dirty, this is a huge plus. The protection is unbeatable for any level of pitching you'll see (or bad catching!!!)

They cost a lot, but they will last for years and are worth every penny. Like a cup, no one sees these being used, but the first time a ball comes through clean, you'll be smiling. (Not rolling around wondering why you saved $40, $50 or $60 bucks.) Good luck and try the Davis stance...
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Where do you work...what level of ball...how often do you get one on the leg???

These are important consideration. I wear the Wilson Professional - it's the black one. The inside pads are held in place by velcro and can be washed. If you work a lot of ball in the hot weather or put your gear away dirty, this is a huge plus. The protection is unbeatable for any level of pitching you'll see (or bad catching!!!)

They cost a lot, but they will last for years and are worth every penny. Like a cup, no one sees these being used, but the first time a ball comes through clean, you'll be smiling. (Not rolling around wondering why you saved $40, $50 or $60 bucks.) Good luck and try the Davis stance...
I work adult leagues down to 9 year olds, with 90% of games on big fields (ie few 9-12 age games). I get hit in the shin guard about once every other game. The first set of cheap Rawlings I had lasted 10 years. I am on my second set now. I hit 'em with a spray from the garden hose every now and then.

The Wilson Professinal looks like an excellent guard. The Grey looks ok to me also.

I tried the Davis stance and I would rather get hit in my cheap shingaurds than in the arms.

Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 07:43pm

Hey DG,
Do you really get hit working the Davis stance?
I'm being very serious here. You should not get hit anymore than if you work the proper box/slot. In fact, those guys often wera the ball more. Is it a matter of bad catching or you are standing a little too upright? If you notice, a lot of guys at the college level that use it, protect there wrists and fingrs by cupping them a little behind the knee/thigh. That way if they do take a stinger, it hits the meat and not the bone. Oh well, the stance isn't for everyone, but it is definetly worth a try. Work whatever makes you better.

WCB
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

I have been hit more using the Davis stance, but I will admit, I have only tried it 3 or 4 times and then with younger players. I thought it would help my back and knees with the shorter players and it did, at the expense of my arm (left mostly). I rarely get hit in the arm with older catchers (ie 13 and up). I used to put my hands behind my knees, but in the last few years I just hold them loosely together in front of my crotch and have never been hit in the hands in this position.

I have read a lot about it, and am willing to give it more chances, especially since I did appear less tired after a game and especially back and knees. I will try it in the fall with older players. Right now, I am doing tournaments and this is no time to experiment. I defintely like the fact that in the GD I am locked and it is very easy to stay that way till the ball hits the mitt.