The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Leg Guards (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/14406-leg-guards.html)

mrm21711 Wed Jun 30, 2004 06:06pm

I am looking into purchasing new leg guards, and I noticed the Wilson charcoal gray ones from Lesters Upstate Sports and Gerry Davis. What do you guys wear/like/recommend? Thanks

GarthB Wed Jun 30, 2004 06:20pm

Douglas. Great protection overall, excellent ankle protection, not bulky, and available directly from Douglas.

http://www.douglaspads.com/pc/viewCa...p?idCategory=6

jumpmaster Wed Jun 30, 2004 08:54pm

I use the Rawlings Adult 5DCW. I don't like them. They are bulky and the buckle from the lower knee strap rubs my leg. I have started wearing leggings, but these are tearing up as well. I have also tried reversing the connector and the seam from the strap rubs a raw spot as well.

I have been thinking about a new set that is made a little different. A lot of guys in my association use the grey Wilson's.

What are the upper level guys using?

tornado Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:07pm

I have the Wilson charcoal grays too. They're light & cool. They have an open core between the shin and my leg. I don't feel a thing on my legs when a baseball finds my shins!
Great ankle protection too.

I wear neoprene knee guards under them because I sweat a lot and any leg guards rub me raw.

I use them from Bronco-Colt (11-16 yr olds).

mrm21711 Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:21pm

Ive tried on the Wilson charcoal gray shin guards

http://gerrydavis.com/Merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=LG

are these the same ones? I found them to be very very bulky and uncomfortable; I really liked the Honig's K10 Collegiate model.

DG Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:28pm

I am no shinguard connoisseur. I use a cheap pair of Rawlings ULG and have done so for many years. I have never been hurt in the shins. If I were going to buy a set today, it would probably be the Honigs K20.

The Wilson grey looks like a very good shinguard but if I were going to routinely see 90+ MPH fastballs I might would get a set of Wilson Professionals.

WindyCityBlue Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:01am

Where do you work...what level of ball...how often do you get one on the leg???

These are important consideration. I wear the Wilson Professional - it's the black one. The inside pads are held in place by velcro and can be washed. If you work a lot of ball in the hot weather or put your gear away dirty, this is a huge plus. The protection is unbeatable for any level of pitching you'll see (or bad catching!!!)

They cost a lot, but they will last for years and are worth every penny. Like a cup, no one sees these being used, but the first time a ball comes through clean, you'll be smiling. (Not rolling around wondering why you saved $40, $50 or $60 bucks.) Good luck and try the Davis stance...

DG Thu Jul 01, 2004 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Where do you work...what level of ball...how often do you get one on the leg???

These are important consideration. I wear the Wilson Professional - it's the black one. The inside pads are held in place by velcro and can be washed. If you work a lot of ball in the hot weather or put your gear away dirty, this is a huge plus. The protection is unbeatable for any level of pitching you'll see (or bad catching!!!)

They cost a lot, but they will last for years and are worth every penny. Like a cup, no one sees these being used, but the first time a ball comes through clean, you'll be smiling. (Not rolling around wondering why you saved $40, $50 or $60 bucks.) Good luck and try the Davis stance...

I work adult leagues down to 9 year olds, with 90% of games on big fields (ie few 9-12 age games). I get hit in the shin guard about once every other game. The first set of cheap Rawlings I had lasted 10 years. I am on my second set now. I hit 'em with a spray from the garden hose every now and then.

The Wilson Professinal looks like an excellent guard. The Grey looks ok to me also.

I tried the Davis stance and I would rather get hit in my cheap shingaurds than in the arms.

WindyCityBlue Thu Jul 01, 2004 07:43pm

Hey DG,
Do you really get hit working the Davis stance?
I'm being very serious here. You should not get hit anymore than if you work the proper box/slot. In fact, those guys often wera the ball more. Is it a matter of bad catching or you are standing a little too upright? If you notice, a lot of guys at the college level that use it, protect there wrists and fingrs by cupping them a little behind the knee/thigh. That way if they do take a stinger, it hits the meat and not the bone. Oh well, the stance isn't for everyone, but it is definetly worth a try. Work whatever makes you better.

WCB

DG Thu Jul 01, 2004 09:43pm

I have been hit more using the Davis stance, but I will admit, I have only tried it 3 or 4 times and then with younger players. I thought it would help my back and knees with the shorter players and it did, at the expense of my arm (left mostly). I rarely get hit in the arm with older catchers (ie 13 and up). I used to put my hands behind my knees, but in the last few years I just hold them loosely together in front of my crotch and have never been hit in the hands in this position.

I have read a lot about it, and am willing to give it more chances, especially since I did appear less tired after a game and especially back and knees. I will try it in the fall with older players. Right now, I am doing tournaments and this is no time to experiment. I defintely like the fact that in the GD I am locked and it is very easy to stay that way till the ball hits the mitt.