The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, I am moving up to varsity next year and will be taking on some 17-18 year old games this summer/fall. I would like your advice on good equipment, mostly on a top notch chest protector you guys recommend for varisity & up pitching. Price is not an option, so feel free to recommend and please be thorough, this is a big purchase for me. Thanks very much.
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
Hey guys, I am moving up to varsity next year and will be taking on some 17-18 year old games this summer/fall. I would like your advice on good equipment, mostly on a top notch chest protector you guys recommend for varisity & up pitching. Price is not an option, so feel free to recommend and please be thorough, this is a big purchase for me. Thanks very much.
Based on what I have seen written on this site, the West Vest Platinum would be a good buy for someone for which price is not a problem. Opinions on equipment will vary widely, about like opinions on rules. I use two protectors, a West Vest clone (VSport for about $85) for Varsity High School and above, and a lightweight Cooper for JV and below. I have Rawlings shin guards. I have two masks, both are Honigs single bar lightweight, with doeskin pads (I tried the leather and they did not last). I use Honigs high top plate shoes and Nike base shoes. I plan to get a new pair of base shoes next year, probably the New Balance shoes that are currently the rage. I use Honigs combo pants for plate, and base for double headers. If I only have one game on base I use base pants I get from Sears. I use two bags and a belt from Honigs. I have a huge equipment bag I got from Honigs but it mainly stays in the trunk of my car. It has only been out of the trunk twice this year. I have 2 blue shirts, 1 powder blue shirt and 1 cream shirt. If my partner has them I like to wear powder blue or cream on hot days. And, very important for games after mid-May in the South, I have a fair amount of clothing for hot weather (I don't have any UnderArmour, but a lot of similar clothing to wick away moisture).
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Price is not an option, so feel free to recommend and please be thorough, this is a big purchase for me. Thanks very much.
Carlucci.

Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 01:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Price is not an option, so feel free to recommend and please be thorough, this is a big purchase for me. Thanks very much.
Carlucci.

Sure, since he said price was not an option. But there are other factors with a Carlucci, like having to measure and then wait while Cece makes the protector. He still makes all of them himself, right?

For an off-the-shelf, I recommend either the WV Gold or Platinum. I have the Platinum, and like it just fine. I've never felt a single ball that has hit me on either of the WV protectors I've owned (since 1996).

--Rich
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
[BSure, since he said price was not an option. But there are other factors with a Carlucci, like having to measure and then wait while Cece makes the protector. He still makes all of them himself, right?

[/B]
I just wanted to beat Tee to the punch on the Carlucci recommendation.

I use and recommend the Honig's K1. That said, I've not tried either of the WVs, but I've heard only good things about them.

Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Gerry Davis lightweight vest, new this year. Durable and great for the hot summer days. I use it in HS thru Semi-pro ball and never have a problem. $65.00

Just my opinion. I have used the Allstar lightweight vest 10 years prior to this and averaged well over 100 games a season. The heavy duty vest is just too hot for me.

Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I use the WV Platinum, Gerry Davis patent leather plate shoes, WV shin guards, either an All Star helmet, a Honigs single bar or WV single bar mask, McDavid tights, Under Armour under shirts and a Honigs indicator(with the timer).

I like Cliff Keen shirts and +POS combo pants. And if money's really no object, throw in a Fechheimer plate coat. Oh, and a Honigs lineup holder, +POS ball bags and plate brush with a scrapper. And how about a patent leather belt?
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Talking

can I get a partridge in a pear tree?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 05:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
can I get a partridge in a pear tree?
Well certainly, but you will first need the new and improved POS+ double barrled shotgun. It comes in Navy, red, lite blue, black or cream, with matching bullet vest, made by West. Bird shot comes in baseball size pellets so that you can have many strikes of "partridge". You can also get the brand new indaclickercounter made by Davis, to track the number of pears that hit the ground right after you shoot the partridge. Patent leather hunting boots/****-kickers or waders are options that todays umpire-hunter just can't do with out. And this month only we will throw in 2 Honig bird bags with the purchase of the new and improved, superduper POS+DAVIS pocket knife with the beer bottle opener for after the game.

HAPPY HUNTING.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Talking

you forgot the Q-37 Coach/Fan/Player ejector button convieniently mounted on the indaclickorcounter. Your's today for on 5 easy payments of $39.95...and if you're french we will send a new french flag. All white and measuring 3'x5' it is conviently sized for the next time you need it.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass