Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
Could Rich have been a tad nicer in his response. Sure! But he didn't call you any names. He simply asked if you were kidding. He refered to people in general with the other comments. You can take that as you will, maybe the shoe fits?

Problem is though, that the person in the original thread not only referenced a Major League game but also quoted "OBR 6.10(b) says "a hitter may be designated to bat for the starting pitcher and all subsequent pitchers."" and then asked "Is there another rule that I'm missing that allows the DH to bat for anyone?"

Clearly, the post taken in context was asking about OBR. You stated an incorrect rule for OBR and made no mention of a reference to quoting a FED rule.

Seems like you were 0 for 2. Consider it a learning experience and move on. You have expect umpires to be particular when it comes to rules, eh!?!

Quote:
Originally posted by WeekendRef
As I stated I shoud have put FED RULES after my statement but I did not . I am fairly certain I know the FED rule . I don't think it was neccessary for the gentleman to come back with such a negative response for an error of omission. A simple response to correct my error would have been received with a "Thanks , my apologies" and we would have moved on .
You guys are a little too much for me...
And this is why I get a little snippy. I have to deal with the aftermath of umpires with substandard knowledge all the time -- rules AND mechanics. Sometimes I'm on the crew that follows these umpires in -- sometimes I'm working with one of these umpires. Most times, I'm watching plate umpires screw up rules like substitutions, DH rules, courtesy runner rules, and the like. We get paid -- but not just to work the games. Part of the pay we get is for the extensive preparation we make OFF the field. Not enough umpires are willing to put that in.

Again, I never specifically mentioned you -- but if you feel the shoe fits, do some reading tonight. And tomorrow night. And the night after that.....

--Rich
Sheeeeesh. And you called ME ornery.
Old Sat Jun 12, 2004, 02:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
Could Rich have been a tad nicer in his response. Sure! But he didn't call you any names. He simply asked if you were kidding. He refered to people in general with the other comments. You can take that as you will, maybe the shoe fits?

Problem is though, that the person in the original thread not only referenced a Major League game but also quoted "OBR 6.10(b) says "a hitter may be designated to bat for the starting pitcher and all subsequent pitchers."" and then asked "Is there another rule that I'm missing that allows the DH to bat for anyone?"

Clearly, the post taken in context was asking about OBR. You stated an incorrect rule for OBR and made no mention of a reference to quoting a FED rule.

Seems like you were 0 for 2. Consider it a learning experience and move on. You have expect umpires to be particular when it comes to rules, eh!?!

Quote:
Originally posted by WeekendRef
As I stated I shoud have put FED RULES after my statement but I did not . I am fairly certain I know the FED rule . I don't think it was neccessary for the gentleman to come back with such a negative response for an error of omission. A simple response to correct my error would have been received with a "Thanks , my apologies" and we would have moved on .
You guys are a little too much for me...
And this is why I get a little snippy. I have to deal with the aftermath of umpires with substandard knowledge all the time -- rules AND mechanics. Sometimes I'm on the crew that follows these umpires in -- sometimes I'm working with one of these umpires. Most times, I'm watching plate umpires screw up rules like substitutions, DH rules, courtesy runner rules, and the like. We get paid -- but not just to work the games. Part of the pay we get is for the extensive preparation we make OFF the field. Not enough umpires are willing to put that in.

Again, I never specifically mentioned you -- but if you feel the shoe fits, do some reading tonight. And tomorrow night. And the night after that.....

--Rich
Sheeeeesh. And you called ME ornery.
Watch out, I ejected a snot-nosed 13-or-14 year old catcher from a Babe Ruth game tonight. I must be cranky. Either that or he mouthed off to me after I directed him to do something.
Old Sat Jun 12, 2004, 10:43am
Veteran College Umpire

Wink

He probably wanted to DH for the 2nd baseman...

(You did say Babe Ruth, didn't you? That's OBR, isn't it? I don't have my "Code Differences" book in front of me).

Just kidding...