The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wobster
Believe me, I would like to give them more money, but in our small league, we don't have the budget. For bases for all other leagues, our board members do the games so that we don't have to pay people.

Our former treasurer took our excess money last year and spent $2000 on a mower. That left us in the hole at the start of this year. Maybe next year we can do that.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wobster
Believe me, I would like to give them more money, but in our small league, we don't have the budget. For bases for all other leagues, our board members do the games so that we don't have to pay people.

Our former treasurer took our excess money last year and spent $2000 on a mower. That left us in the hole at the start of this year. Maybe next year we can do that.
I hear what your saying but for about $5 more per player, per season, you can probably get each umpire $5 more per game. Pennies.

Im have seen too many Leagues over the years that think of their officiating last.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wobster
I will try to make it happen next year. The season is about over for this year.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ecurebel
i did coach pitch and tball games for a dixie youth place last year, and they had one umpire for anything under eight and what not...so thats coach pitch and tball. they paid thirty dollars a game.

there is no real need for two umpires in a game like this. all you really need is one umpire for this age group because the two umpire system will confuse the coachs, and gather more arguements about the calls. one umpire should be able to adequately accertain any situation that may come about as long as they know the rules.

i am now calling little league players,babe ruth, and fed. Our minor leagues in little league use one umpire/plate guy. he has full charge over the field and if he carries himself in a respectable manor and shows some authority over the game and its participants there is no problem. if your umpires don't know that they have the backing of your program they will be unsure and not wanting to deal with the coachs, fans, or players. there are not many problems in that age group and as long as the guy is somewhat consistant with balls and strikes and husstles there should be no calls that they can not make
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

The first thing we like to do is spend time in the classroom, go over the rules... encourage questions !! ......the next thing we like to do is get the umps into the pitching cage...make them call balls & strikes.....pay special attention to the new umps eyes....teach them how to follow the ball with the eyes, NOT the head...... next we like to do some field mechanics, teach them how to pivot and follow the ball and runners..... L.L., teach them how to come from the outside to the inside, do the "J" turn and follow.....L.L., teach them B & C position and working position...... after the few long days of working the classroom, cages and the gym floor, get your leagues to set up some games....during the games set up different seceniro's to help your umps have to make rulings..... have expirenced umps present to help your new umps......

When doing assignments, put your new umps with your older umps.... DO NOT THROW THESE KIDS TO THE WOLVES..... If your parents are anything like ours, I pitty your new umps !!

good luck to all !!
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurebel
i did coach pitch and tball games for a dixie youth place last year,
Someone actually admits to umpiring TBall. Yikes!
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Why are we digging up a thread from June 2004?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Who knows? Might help with tball.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Why are we digging up a thread from June 2004?
Because Dan moved to Omaha ????
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have tried to get the league to buy rule books and manuals, but they will not. The only rule book in the whole league is my personal copy.
The aforementioned is the MAIN Problem. If the league doesn't care whether the umpires know the rules or not you are "caught between a rock and hard plate"

Let's assume one joined an umpire association. All that was presented was a 45 minute video. You had to by your own books, get training on your own, etc. What would you think of this association.

Your scenario is no different.

As far as having 15 yr. old kids umpire. Stick to Balls/ Strikes / Safes and Outs.

In Summary, until you get the backing of the league, your life will be difficult.

Pete Booth