The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Have I been misled for all of these years? I have always understood that if a manager or coach wishes to make a double switch he must go to the umpire BEFORE going to the mound.

Last night in the Astros/Cardinals game, Jimy Williams went to the mound. When the umpire went out to break up the conference, Williams spoke to him for awhile and then made a double switch.

Of course this is OBR.
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see why a coach could not make a double switch after going to mound first.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by harmbu
Have I been misled for all of these years? I have always understood that if a manager or coach wishes to make a double switch he must go to the umpire BEFORE going to the mound.

Last night in the Astros/Cardinals game, Jimy Williams went to the mound. When the umpire went out to break up the conference, Williams spoke to him for awhile and then made a double switch.

Of course this is OBR.
I believe, but I'm too lazy to look it up, that this applies only on the second visit to the mound -- IOW, when the pitcher must be removed.

Was that the case in this game, or was the switch during the first visit?

Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 09:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by harmbu

Of course this is OBR.
I believe, but I'm too lazy to look it up, that this applies only on the second visit to the mound -- IOW, when the pitcher must be removed.

Was that the case in this game, or was the switch during the first visit?

This is the citation from the ML Instructions to Umpires.

------------------------
Play: A manager goes to the mound and talks with the pitcher. The plate umpire goes out to break up the conference, and while on the mound the manager informs the umpire that he wishes to make a double-switch.

Ruling: Legal, provided the manager has not signaled to the bullpen prior to informing the umpire of the multiple substitution. A manager may give the umpire a double-switch while defensive players are entering the playing field. However, in the unlikely event that an unannounced pitcher takes a position on the pitching rubber before the manager confers with the umpire, Official Baseball Rule 3.08(a)(1) provides such pitcher to have entered the game. In such case, a subsequent attempt by the manager to make a double-switch shall not be allowed. Again, the opposing manager should be informed of multiple substitutions and should be given the proper batting position of each substitution. NOTE: When the manager goes to the plate umpire to inform the umpire of a double switch involving a new pitcher, the plate umpire should immediately signal to a base umpire to go to the bullpen for the new pitcher. This speeds play up significantly as opposed to the base umpire having to wait until the conference with the plate umpire is completed and then watching for the manager finally to signal to the bullpen. In such cases, the plate umpire should give a clear signal in case there is more than one pitcher warming up.