The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Edinburg, TX
Posts: 1,212
Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
FED rules only.

DON'T USE YOUR BOOKS!


R1, R3. The pitcher, having come to a discernible and complete pause in the set position, lifts his non-pivot foot and steps directly toward third. He does not feint a throw there. He immediately wheels and, while remaining on the rubber, throws to first and picks off R1.

(a) This is legal.

(b) Balk: After stepping toward third the pitcher must disengage the rubber before throwing to first.

(c) Balk: The pitcher must feint a throw when he steps toward an occupied base.

Only one answer is correct!

GARTH: DON'T USE YOUR BOOKS!

__________________
Papa C
My website
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 508
Smile

Hey Carl, I'll bite. As usual, no book! Now I have been 6 months removed from FED rules, so deal with me!. I go for "C", I belive I may have seen that interp, could be wrong, however.
I do not see it would be legal, and OBR ump will naail offender, so, under FED, with out a book(or 2)on the field, I would call a balk. Being honest here, enligten me.......






Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
FED rules only.

DON'T USE YOUR BOOKS!


R1, R3. The pitcher, having come to a discernible and complete pause in the set position, lifts his non-pivot foot and steps directly toward third. He does not feint a throw there. He immediately wheels and, while remaining on the rubber, throws to first and picks off R1.

(a) This is legal.

(b) Balk: After stepping toward third the pitcher must disengage the rubber before throwing to first.

(c) Balk: The pitcher must feint a throw when he steps toward an occupied base.

Only one answer is correct!

GARTH: DON'T USE YOUR BOOKS!

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 04:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 561
Talking Oh, Chris, what HAVE you done... ?

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
Hey Carl, I'll bite. As usual, no book! Now I have been 6 months removed from FED rules, so deal with me!. I go for "C", I belive I may have seen that interp, could be wrong, however.
I do not see it would be legal, and OBR ump will naail offender, so, under FED, with out a book(or 2)on the field, I would call a balk. Being honest here, enligten me.......

Chris, sometimes you absolutely crack me up! LOL! You took option 'C'? Hell I don't know from FED but the situation said R1 and R3 and you took the only choice that nominated 3rd base as unoccupied??? ROTFLMAOBT!!!

I'm sorry, Chris. It really can happen to ANYONE ... but ya gotta admit that's pretty damn funny!

Cheers,

Warren Willson
__________________
Warren Willson
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 10:26am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 517
C
(no book, hope memory doesn't fail)
Roger Greene,
Member UT
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 10:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 813
I'll go with Hayes and say "A" is corrent.

This should be legal provided he delivers ball to first. I cannot think of rule requiring him to disengage rubber. Nor can I think of rule that says 'arm motion' must be part of a feint. If we balked evertime there is no arm movement we'd sound like a bunch of chickens on leg movemnts only that go to 2nd from rubber.

As long as they are 2 separate moves------initially to 3rd, then to 1st, and his nonpivot foot leads the way, it should be legal. Since he is still on rubber, he must deliver to 1st or else it would then become a balk.

[Edited by Bfair on Dec 8th, 2000 at 10:04 AM]
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 11:02am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,001
C.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,729
Talking OK . . . we know it is NOT A so,

C
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 05:12pm
Rog Rog is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 289
Re: Oh, Chris, what HAVE you done... ?

Warren
Damned if your answer sounds like something you'd hear on: "The Man Show" - - - now that's funny too!
But, since you didn't give an actual answer - then I'll give "C" as mine!
All together now:
.....Nice and loud - - - "That's a BALK - - - - - TIME!!!"



[/B][/QUOTE]

Chris, sometimes you absolutely crack me up! LOL! You took option 'C'? Hell I don't know from FED but the situation said R1 and R3 and you took the only choice that nominated 3rd base as unoccupied??? ROTFLMAOBT!!!

I'm sorry, Chris. It really can happen to ANYONE ... but ya gotta admit that's pretty damn funny!

Cheers,

Warren Willson [/B][/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 561
Unhappy Mea culpa..

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Mills
Warren: Is it past your bedtime? Option C refers to an occupied base.
Heck, when I read it I SWEAR it said "unoccupied base"! And I read it 2 or 3 times, too. I thought maybe Carl was just being sneaky, because option's 'A' and 'B' looked to be saying "Does this follow the OBR ruling or not?" Oh well, I guess I needed a reality check. I'm really sorry, Chris. I guess you get the last laugh and it's on me!

Yesterday wasn't a great day for me. I blew a minor one over on McGriff's too. Must have been on a "triple critical" or sumthin' (grin)


Cheers,

Warren Willson
__________________
Warren Willson
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 508
Cool Re: Mea culpa..

Quote:
Originally posted by Warren Willson
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Mills
Warren: Is it past your bedtime? Option C refers to an occupied base.
Heck, when I read it I SWEAR it said "unoccupied base"! And I read it 2 or 3 times, too. I thought maybe Carl was just being sneaky, because option's 'A' and 'B' looked to be saying "Does this follow the OBR ruling or not?" Oh well, I guess I needed a reality check. I'm really sorry, Chris. I guess you get the last laugh and it's on me!

Yesterday wasn't a great day for me. I blew a minor one over on McGriff's too. Must have been on a "triple critical" or sumthin' (grin)


Cheers,

Warren Willson
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Warren, you made ME look again! Now just lay off those Fosters Ales, all will be ok(big smirky grin)
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 22
Send a message via AIM to kbaerslt
Lightbulb wild guess

wild guess it is a perfect move and i did not use my book


thanks


Karl Best
Richmond, VA
__________________
kbaerslt
thanks for reading
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 01:51am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Edinburg, TX
Posts: 1,212
Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Re: wild guess

Quote:
Originally posted by kbaerslt
wild guess it is a perfect move and i did not use my book


thanks


Karl Best
Richmond, VA
Karl:

You should have used your book. (grin)

See the correct answer in a later thread called something like Answer to a second one-question test.

Glad to have you with us.
__________________
Papa C
My website
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 174
Carl, in my short stint as an umpire, I have never been to any official training. I have only picked up stuff from boards like these, people like you, and keeping my eyes and ears open. With that said:

I believe the answer is (b). Reason is that I was taught that if a pitcher is going to make a move to third, it must be convincing enough to pull his pivot foot off the rubber. Just what I was taught as a rule of thumb.

Max
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,001
Quote:
Originally posted by Whowefoolin
Carl, in my short stint as an umpire, I have never been to any official training. I have only picked up stuff from boards like these, people like you, and keeping my eyes and ears open. With that said:

I believe the answer is (b). Reason is that I was taught that if a pitcher is going to make a move to third, it must be convincing enough to pull his pivot foot off the rubber. Just what I was taught as a rule of thumb.

Max
That's a good rule of thumb for OBR and NCAA. FED has specific language that says, in effect, "that dog don't hunt."
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 5
Smile Pitcher must disengage the rubber

My answer is B because the pitcher must disengage the rubber before throwing to another base.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1