The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

I just heard Alex Rodriquez got 252 Million Dollars for 10 years.

Now everybody is going to want and worst think there little Joey will be a major leaguer. I don't know about you guys, but I am sick of it.

I see a terrible future for us officials in all sports. Let's see what happens when Rodriquez questions a stike 3 call and an umps tosses him. That ump won't be working too long - he'll probably get suspended. The umpire union better get strong. That amount of Money is the root of evilness. They get the money and we become the "evils".

I think the owners have to "colluse" again !!!

Sorry, I was having a bad day, needed to get it out. I keep telling my boss that I get the programming right about 80% of the time and am batting .800. Baseball players batting .300 geting paid the above numbers. What should I be worth ??? He says, about what were paying you !!!

Wooooo, I feel a little better now.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up I Agree!!!

You're right, Doc!
Soothe your savage urges by checking out a College or High School game, and your spirits will be lifted.
Our great give-a-way Owners are making a mockery out of our great game by overpaying the "stars" and raising the bar so high that every year some "unappreciated" .250 hitter threatens to quit. So what? What else would he do to even remotely equal what he has in any other field?
A genuine "star", team leader, or .350 hitter has a claim to be paid according to his talents, but it borders on the bizarre when the marginal players demand, and are given high salaries because the "average" has gone up to such a ridiculous level.
Nothing beats a game being played by skilled players on the College or High School level, playing because of a love of the game, without "agents" shopping them around to the highest bidder.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

With the stats some of these players today produce, 30 years ago they'd be in AA, or at best, AAA ball, not making millions. Today's pitchers go 5 or 6 innings, and they're exhausted. The game is going banrupt, monetarily and morally.

If there wasn't that much money, there wouldn't be as big a drug problem either.

Bob
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

AROD is making more than George W sold the Team for (The team was sold for $225 million). He will make $17,000.00 per inning so your right can you imagine what flak an umpire will take if say He ejects AROD in the first inning.

BTW Manny Ramierez signed with the BOSOX for a reported $160 million. Also, guess who is on deck - Derek Jeter - Wonder what he will cost the Boss.

Lets put things in perspective. I'm a Met fan and I took my Girlfriends 2 kids and my young son to Shea last year. The day cost me (includes ticket price of $35 / seat) $370.00 - REDICULIOUS. My car lone isn't that much. Something has got to give sooner or later.

The Small market Teams (Pittsburgh / Milwaukee / Twins / KC - to name a few) will be forced to fold because they simply cannot compete. It would be wonderful for the Mariners to make the playoffs again after the departure of both Griffey and AROD.

I say make 1 division in baseball by Payroll. Put all the high priced teams in 1 division and let them fight it out - that would make it fair for all the other teams.

Pete Booth