The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 11, 2020, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

LITTLE LEAGUE thrown bat

I'm well aware of the myths surrounding an out for a thrown bat.
Obviously some town balls implement such a rule.
Is there such a silly provision specifically in any LITTLE LEAGUE rule sets?

Thank you in advance
Old Tue Aug 11, 2020, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post

Thank you in advance
No. Not for just a plain old bat throw.

As with any rules if it's thrown and while in motion interferes with a batted ball it's an out.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2020, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Yup Thanks - I was referring to plain ol' tossed bat.
Of course interference is different.

Grandkid's LL season have numerous "bat toss warnings."
I was just waiting for an ejection.........
Old Tue Aug 11, 2020, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure most of us have the same opinion with regards to local rules.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2020, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yup Thanks - I was referring to plain ol' tossed bat.
Of course interference is different.

Grandkid's LL season have numerous "bat toss warnings."
I was just waiting for an ejection.........
Sounds like someone needs to teach them how to control their bat!
Old Thu Aug 13, 2020, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Kiddie Ball & Safety

I don't know what is so silly about a local rule addressing thrown bats in kiddie ball, allowing for warnings and possible ejections. A thrown bat is dangerous, both for the young players and umpires, and we often work in small cage-like backstops where bats ricochet.

In the one youth league I worked, there was such a rule. I've given warnings--about which, no coach ever complained--but with common sense and preventive officiating, I never had to eject a player. Neither I nor the catcher was going to get hurt by a flying bat, if I could help it.

Last edited by LRZ; Thu Aug 13, 2020 at 03:26pm.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2020, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

All the leagues around here threatened outs, not ejections. Never got worried about it really in youth ball but Ive done some slow pitch adult leagues where guys that come in that havent played since tball apparently that had me wishing I had my gear on.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2020, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I don't know what is so silly about a local rule addressing thrown bats in kiddie ball, allowing for warnings and possible ejections. A thrown bat is dangerous, both for the young players and umpires, and we often work in small cage-like backstops where bats ricochet.

In the one youth league I worked, there was such a rule. I've given warnings--about which, no coach ever complained--but with common sense and preventive officiating, I never had to eject a player. Neither I nor the catcher was going to get hurt by a flying bat, if I could help it.
What kind of thrown bat "form" is this about? Batter loses grip on the follow thru? Bat thrown in frustration? Some other kind of throwing?

I've never been good at switching quickly from one motion to another, so for a while as a youngster I'd wind up carrying the bat halfway up the first base line as I ran before eventually jettisoning it. So I tried to fix that problem by loosening my grip. Then I wound up throwing the bat on my swing.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2020, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thank you in advance
I think this is a local "safety" rule many local leagues have put into place to protect players and umpires from injuries. The local league I have worked previously has had a rule in place which says for a thrown bat (that does not interfere) it is a warning to the batter. If the act is repeated the offender shall be ejected.

I can say I have dodged a lot of bats while umpiring these games, and have never ejected a player. I also will call time, walk down to first base (or third base) and have a little chat with the batter and the coach regarding controlling the bat. Normally that handles the situation pretty quickly.

I actually did have one ejection from a flying bat situation. A defensive coach was tossed for arguing the thrown bat rule with me. The catcher had been repeatedly warned for creeping up too close to the batter (by myself and the defensive / his coach). A batter had taken a spot in the front of the box for the first couple pitches, which caused the catcher to move forward. For the next pitch the batter was in the very back of the box. On the swing, the batter swings and hits a ball to the outfield, but on the follow through, the bat catches the catcher's helmet, knocking him to the ground. As the bat his the helmet it knocks the bat from the batters hand. I had immediately called him when this happened (I would award the bases later) because this was a potential injury situation. The catcher ended up with a concussion. The DC absolutely went ballistic saying I had to eject the batter for throwing the bat at his players head. Obviously a complaint was filed with the league office regarding this. Thankfully for me, a parent from one of the teams had videotaped the play, and it clearly showed the play exactly as I had described it. The player ended up being ok, but that game (and treatment from coach / parents, plus a few issues with the league were why I stopped working that league.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2020, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

"I had immediately called him when this happened (I would award the bases later) because this was a potential injury situation."

Do you mean you immediately called "Time"?
Old Tue Aug 18, 2020, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post

Warning and ejections are fine.
Outs are not.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2020, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Except for a possible deterrent effect of an after-the-fact out, which I doubt would be effective with youngsters, that distinction makes sense. Thank you, Robbie.

Last edited by LRZ; Tue Aug 18, 2020 at 03:03pm.