The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 01, 2019, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Runner required to “get out of way” DP?

R1 running to second on a 6-4-3 DP. Once R1 is out, is he “required” to peel away or get out of the way of the fielder making a throw to first?

Coach complained to my base Ump that the runner was out and he didn’t slide or get out of the way. He kept his line, didn’t throw hands up or verbally interfere. As PU I wasn’t in any position to see it, but wondered what NFHS has for that scenario.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2019, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post
R1 running to second on a 6-4-3 DP. Once R1 is out, is he “required” to peel away or get out of the way of the fielder making a throw to first?

Coach complained to my base Ump that the runner was out and he didn’t slide or get out of the way. He kept his line, didn’t throw hands up or verbally interfere. As PU I wasn’t in any position to see it, but wondered what NFHS has for that scenario.
Not required in OBR. NFHS has a bizarre "about half way" rule.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2019, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post

The only FED case has the runner "less than halfway" to second when this play occurs -- and the ruling is that R1 is NOT out.

Most interpret that as "if the runner is close enough to the base where he would normally begin to slide, then he must slide or get out of the way"

And, as PU, you *ARE* in a position to see that AND to make a ruling on it.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2019, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

You should be in position--and watching for possible interference, as the BU has to turn his attention to first, on the back end of the DP, where the call might be a banger.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2019, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the information. I, as PU, do watch the play at second, but then turn for first to watch the 1B foot stay on the bag or a high throw with a possible tag. It’s good to know in my OP that the PU also should watch for interference on the R1. Thanks!!
Old Wed Jul 03, 2019, 06:27am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
You should be in position--and watching for possible interference, as the BU has to turn his attention to first, on the back end of the DP, where the call might be a banger.
Unless you use the ultra-advanced Briarfield mechanic — with R1 only & less than two outs, PU makes the call on the B/R at first base, allowing U1 to keep his attention on the play at second.
Old Wed Jul 03, 2019, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Briarfield?

I note no emoticon or blue font, so I assume you were serious.

If so, that's a new one on me. Never heard of this mechanic. Who teaches it, where is it taught, where is it employed?
Old Wed Jul 03, 2019, 03:06pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:

If so, that's a new one on me. Never heard of this mechanic. Who teaches it, where is it taught, where is it employed?
It’s a localized mechanic used by some umpires here. It’s quite simple, actually. PU has a perfect look at a pulled foot/swipe tag, as well as INT/OBS at first. He will be no further away than U1 when the relay throw arrives. In case of an overthrow, U1 takes B/R into second & third, and PU has plenty of time to retreat to the plate in the unlikely event B/R advances that far.

It does require PU to hustle up the line, which is a deterrent for some.
Old Wed Jul 03, 2019, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

"It does require PU to hustle up the line, which is a deterrent for some."

That would never work here. Just about the only time most of my partners come out from behind the plate is when they head for their cars after the final out.
Old Thu Jul 04, 2019, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Carl Childress had it in his book "Mechanics for the 21st Century" (or some title like that; others also discussed it before and after that book came out. It never gained much traction.