The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 04, 2019, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Batter HBP

Mainly NFHS rules but has criteria changed for batter avoiding the pitch? I know college has changed but didn’t see anything in FED. Batter ducks to avoid high curve ball and pitch hits in helmet not a strike. My partner calls time puts BR on first. I thought it was correct I was just wondering if that was still correct. I know if pitch was a strike he could call a strike but pitch was still outside zone from what he said later. Just wanted to see.
Old Tue Jun 04, 2019, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Mainly NFHS rules but has criteria changed for batter avoiding the pitch? I know college has changed but didn’t see anything in FED. Batter ducks to avoid high curve ball and pitch hits in helmet not a strike. My partner calls time puts BR on first. I thought it was correct I was just wondering if that was still correct. I know if pitch was a strike he could call a strike but pitch was still outside zone from what he said later. Just wanted to see.
Pitch was out of the zone.

Batter tried to avoid by ducking.

Pitch hit him.

Why is it an issue?
Old Tue Jun 04, 2019, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Not really an issue

I didn’t think it was an issue but the coach confronted my partner and wanted to know how we put him on first because he didn’t try to avoid the pitch. My answer was simple its a curve ball and he was trying to avoid by ducking.

I know I’ve seen several in college this year hit and left in the box with their new rule. I just had not seen anything in FED.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jun 05, 2019, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I didn’t think it was an issue but the coach confronted my partner and wanted to know how we put him on first because he didn’t try to avoid the pitch.
Sure... a player "permits a ball to hit him" (to use the FED wording) in the head. the coach is fishing, and it's not going to last long or end well. Even in college this is a HBP.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2019, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Sure... a player "permits a ball to hit him" (to use the FED wording) in the head. the coach is fishing, and it's not going to last long or end well. Even in college this is a HBP.
Thanks Rich and Bob. Confirms what I was thinking I was just gonna check to be certain nothing had changed. Basically it’s the umpires opinion anyway that matters of course 🤓🤓