The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere already, but the search option was disabled when I went to use it.

After watching the major league games, it seems to me that they all use single-bar masks as opposed to double-bar.

I thought I remember reading that it made no difference, and that it was just a matter of preference, but then why would every single plate ump have single-bar?

Did my eyes decieve me, and some MLB umps have double-bar, or do double-bar masks have disadvantages?

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Chuck99
I have definitly seen a few MLB umps wearing double bars. That being said I switched to a single bar this season and wont be going back. The viewing area is about 3/8" more from top to bottom. I'm not sure if it is as good protection wise, but I'm able to track the ball much better. JMO good luck, Chuck.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Only two or three of the umpires in the majors are still using double bar face masks. Most have went to the single bar mask, or the All Star umpire helmet.

There is no written rule that an umpire has to use a specific mask or any other particular piece of equipment. It is the individual choice of each umpire as to what equipment they use.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2003, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

ive used double bar masks since i was a litle kid, but this year i got a new mask (+POS single bar) and i wont be going back. it just seems a little more open, which wasnt a problem with double bars being too enclosed, just that its a good thing to have.

i also noticed a few catchers who wear Wilson catchers gear, and use the wilson mask, have single bar setup. i wonder how long it will be until everyone (catchers and umpires) are wearing single bar masks and double bars get phased out?
Old Sat Oct 18, 2003, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Actually, I think before the double bar face mask can be fazed out, the single bar masks are going to be going right along with double bar face masks as well in the fazing out process.

A lot of umpires at the Major League level and the Minor League along with most catchers as well are going to the All Star Helmet. All Star makes it both for catchers and umpires to use.

I know next year, I am going to the new helmet even I only work major college baseball after umpiring school. My fiancee' saw on television early during the regular MLB season what happened to Mary Foster(MLB Umpire) when he was working the plate in Montreal, and advised me that I will be going to the helmet.

Marty took a high fast ball clocked in the mid 90's that the catcher missed right on the top side of the fac mask and got knocked out big time. If i remember correctly, he laid on the ground behind home plate for almost 5 minutes before he was carried off on a stretcher and taken to the hospital.

So, I think the face masks are on there way, and the helmets are on their way in at quicker pace now.
Old Sat Oct 18, 2003, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

i myself dont see the need for the helmet, but that is just me. i was a catcher all my life, caught last year in college, and never thought it was necessary as a catcher. sure it gives you a better field of vision, but i never had a problem seeing runners on the corners or anything. as an umpire, i dont see myself ever buying one.

i do college games in the fall and high school in the spring/summer so i am seeing some pretty fast pitching but i can take quite a beating. ive taken pretty hard shots as a catcher and as an umpire and i just roll my neck around and keep playing/umpiring.
Old Sat Oct 18, 2003, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

My guess is the regular masks will still be around for a long time, because of those umpires and catchers as well that prefer the regular masks over the helmets.

It will probably be each umpire's/catcher's preference over using a mask or a helmet, which ever each feels the most comfortable using in game situation.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
Actually, I think before the double bar face mask can be fazed (sic) out, the single bar masks are going to be going right along with double bar face masks as well in the fazing (sic) out process.

A lot of umpires at the Major League level and the Minor League along with most catchers as well are going to the All Star Helmet.

How do you define "a lot?"

I think we need to give the helmets more time before we begin to predict the demise of the traditional face mask. I doubt there will be any complete phasing out. I've tried one and didn't feel comfortable with it. However, I'm not emotional about this and it wouldn't faze me in the least to see such a phase.

Quote:
I know next year, I am going to the new helmet even I only work major college baseball after umpiring school.
In which NCAA conference do you work?

Quote:
My fiancee' saw on television early during the regular MLB season what happened to Mary (sic) Foster(MLB Umpire) when he was working the plate in Montreal, and advised me that I will be going to the helmet.
Marty took a high fast ball clocked in the mid 90's that the catcher missed right on the top side of the fac mask and got knocked out big time.
I saw a local umpire get hit at eye level with a foul ball while wearing a helmet. He, too went down and couldn't finish the game. If that is your criteria for selecting safety equipment, what are you left with?

Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Garth,

Currently, I do not sit on umpire staffs at the college level. Next year, I am going to begin to pursue college baseball at more consistent pace. If I came across paiting the picture that I currently work college baseball, then I made a mistake, but I currently do not work college baseball at consistent basis.

My goal, is to make all the leagues outside of D-1 next season in my home state. Then four or five years after next season, approach the idea of moving up to major college baseball at the D-1 level. I will explore it sooner, if and only if, the supervisors come to me first. Baseball is the sport that I excell in the most, and I do not want to ruin my career by advancing to soon.

That is why I am going to Jim Evans school this year to see where everything is at for as an baseball umpire. Hopefully(because it is my ultimate goal) I will be sent on to the PBUC evaluation course for a career to major league baseball, but if that does not happen, then I will pursue college baseball.

As far as equipment, NO my fiancee's approach is not the only thing that I have left to base my decision on to switch to the helmet. My main, main reason for switching is the fact that the vision of the field is 150%(in my opinion) and I like them better over the regular mask.