Thread: Face Mask
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
Actually, I think before the double bar face mask can be fazed (sic) out, the single bar masks are going to be going right along with double bar face masks as well in the fazing (sic) out process.

A lot of umpires at the Major League level and the Minor League along with most catchers as well are going to the All Star Helmet.

How do you define "a lot?"

I think we need to give the helmets more time before we begin to predict the demise of the traditional face mask. I doubt there will be any complete phasing out. I've tried one and didn't feel comfortable with it. However, I'm not emotional about this and it wouldn't faze me in the least to see such a phase.

Quote:
I know next year, I am going to the new helmet even I only work major college baseball after umpiring school.
In which NCAA conference do you work?

Quote:
My fiancee' saw on television early during the regular MLB season what happened to Mary (sic) Foster(MLB Umpire) when he was working the plate in Montreal, and advised me that I will be going to the helmet.
Marty took a high fast ball clocked in the mid 90's that the catcher missed right on the top side of the fac mask and got knocked out big time.
I saw a local umpire get hit at eye level with a foul ball while wearing a helmet. He, too went down and couldn't finish the game. If that is your criteria for selecting safety equipment, what are you left with?