Thread: Face Mask
View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 18, 2003, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Actually, I think before the double bar face mask can be fazed out, the single bar masks are going to be going right along with double bar face masks as well in the fazing out process.

A lot of umpires at the Major League level and the Minor League along with most catchers as well are going to the All Star Helmet. All Star makes it both for catchers and umpires to use.

I know next year, I am going to the new helmet even I only work major college baseball after umpiring school. My fiancee' saw on television early during the regular MLB season what happened to Mary Foster(MLB Umpire) when he was working the plate in Montreal, and advised me that I will be going to the helmet.

Marty took a high fast ball clocked in the mid 90's that the catcher missed right on the top side of the fac mask and got knocked out big time. If i remember correctly, he laid on the ground behind home plate for almost 5 minutes before he was carried off on a stretcher and taken to the hospital.

So, I think the face masks are on there way, and the helmets are on their way in at quicker pace now.