The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 27, 2019, 06:50pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

MLB Nats vs Padres 4-27

top of 10th, bases loaded, padres hitter sends fly to left field, caught for out. Throw towards home plate is muffed by catcher toward visitor's dugout. Catcher pursues, gets control of ball with 1 foot inside dugout, momentum causes him to land with both feet in dugout, still in possession of ball..

Please discuss proper administration after first runner scores from 3rd.

This resulted in a 6+ minute delay while umps conferred and consulted with replay officials twice.

Thanks
Old Sat Apr 27, 2019, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
top of 10th, bases loaded, padres hitter sends fly to left field, caught for out. Throw towards home plate is muffed by catcher toward visitor's dugout. Catcher pursues, gets control of ball with 1 foot inside dugout, momentum causes him to land with both feet in dugout, still in possession of ball..

Please discuss proper administration after first runner scores from 3rd.

This resulted in a 6+ minute delay while umps conferred and consulted with replay officials twice.

Thanks
The ball becomes dead if a fielder steps into the dugout with one foot or both. It's a recent change to OBR. There is a semantic problem in that it only references doing that after a catch but I think any step into the dugout would make the ball dead and a two base award, correction one base award, at the time of step. But the lip of the dugout is not considered the dugout, it is considered part of the playing filed. So after viewing the play the ball did not did not go out of play but the fielder stepped into the dugout and it's a one base award. It's called catch and carry and the rule only references a fielder going into the dugout or dead ball territory with a catch but I think any possession of the ball does not allow a fielder to step into dead ball territory which the dugout now is.

Last edited by umpjim; Sat Apr 27, 2019 at 07:34pm.
Old Sun Apr 28, 2019, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

I think the "catch" part of "catch and carry" refers only to a fly ball. This is just a ball thrown out of play.