The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 06, 2019, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Batter interference on a steal

Umped a game on Saturday first time in years got pulled in. Not sure if they were trying a bunt and run or badly executed fake bunt and steal, but runner at first was on the move to second either on a steal or bunt and run - batter makes bunt attempt and comes out of the box and took 2-3 steps and is literally standing directly in front of home plate, the Catcher went in position to throw but did not throw the ball kind of stopped his throw with the runner there.

I called Interference on the batter, called him out and brought runner back to first. Nobody questioned the call, I explained to coach what he did.

After the game, my only thought was did I get the call wrong because the catcher didnt throw or make contact? Which I dont think is a must to call intereference in a clear case like that, but I could be wrong.

This was a 50-70 Intermediate LL game.
Old Tue May 07, 2019, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
Umped a game on Saturday first time in years got pulled in. Not sure if they were trying a bunt and run or badly executed fake bunt and steal, but runner at first was on the move to second either on a steal or bunt and run - batter makes bunt attempt and comes out of the box and took 2-3 steps and is literally standing directly in front of home plate, the Catcher went in position to throw but did not throw the ball kind of stopped his throw with the runner there.

I called Interference on the batter, called him out and brought runner back to first. Nobody questioned the call, I explained to coach what he did.

After the game, my only thought was did I get the call wrong because the catcher didnt throw or make contact? Which I dont think is a must to call intereference in a clear case like that, but I could be wrong.

This was a 50-70 Intermediate LL game.
Sounds like you did just fine. A throw isn't required, nor is contact. Did the batter interfere or impede the catcher from attempting a play? If so, then we have a foul. A throw is required for runner's lane interference, but that's not this case.
Old Tue May 07, 2019, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Sounds like you did just fine. A throw isn't required, nor is contact. Did the batter interfere or impede the catcher from attempting a play? If so, then we have a foul. A throw is required for runner's lane interference, but that's not this case.
F2 has to at least start a throw. You can't call interference on indifference.
Old Tue May 07, 2019, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
F2 has to at least start a throw. You can't call interference on indifference.
Well, of course, if there's indifference then there was nothing interfered with. Hence the part about "interfering with a play".