The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 31, 2018, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

interference

had a play where the batter swung at a pitch and hit the catchers glove then the ball. He grounded out but the ump call catchers interference and called him safe at first. The scorer charged the batter with an at bat. I don't think the batter should be penalized with an AB for catchers interference. How is this plate appearance registered correctly?
Old Thu May 31, 2018, 11:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek007 View Post
had a play where the batter swung at a pitch and hit the catchers glove then the ball. He grounded out but the ump call catchers interference and called him safe at first. The scorer charged the batter with an at bat. I don't think the batter should be penalized with an AB for catchers interference. How is this plate appearance registered correctly?
E2 for the interference, but the batter is NOT charged with an at bat.

It does count as a plate appearance, but the formula for determining OBP only includes H, AB, BB, HBP, and SF.
Old Thu May 31, 2018, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Yes, the catcher is charged with an error (for the interference), but no at bat is charged against the batter. Catcher's interference is not included in OBP or AVG calculations. If the batter who reaches base by catcher's interference scores, his run is un-earned and does not factor into the pitcher's ERA.
Old Thu May 31, 2018, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

ok thanks for the replies. The scorer was using pointstreak software and the problem is you need to enter a reason for the batter reaching 1st. if you chose catchers interference then it charges you with an AB. Seems weird, but that is what the scorer is telling me. Maybe they don't know what they are doing.

thanks anyway, you confirmed what I thought.