The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 30, 2018, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Intentionally walk - when?

Little League, bottom of 6th, tie-game, winning run on 3rd, two out, 2-0 count on batter. Manager decides to intentionally walk the batter, and indicates so to the plate ump. Plate ump motions batter to first and announces "add two to pitch count" to official scorer. Then, immediately, the manager announced the next batter was intentionally walked as well, thus loading the bases for a force anywhere.

6.08 (a)(2) "Prior to a pitch being thrown, the defense elects to “Intentionally Walk” the batter by announcing such decision to the plate umpire. ... Four (4) pitches will be added to the pitch count."

My read is that the ump should have informed the manager that the pitcher would have to pitch to the 2-0 batter in order to finish the IBB since the at-bat had already started. Is my read correct? I can certainly see a wild pitch happening in that attempt that could allow the run to score.

First IBB matter aside, can a second IBB be issued in the same time-out, or must play resume, thus requiring another time-out request for the IBB? I'm trying to imagine if anything could take place that, albeit unlikely, should be given the opportunity to take place.

Thanks for the comments.

Joe
Old Mon Apr 02, 2018, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrey01 View Post
Little League, bottom of 6th, tie-game, winning run on 3rd, two out, 2-0 count on batter. Manager decides to intentionally walk the batter, and indicates so to the plate ump. Plate ump motions batter to first and announces "add two to pitch count" to official scorer. Then, immediately, the manager announced the next batter was intentionally walked as well, thus loading the bases for a force anywhere.

6.08 (a)(2) "Prior to a pitch being thrown, the defense elects to “Intentionally Walk” the batter by announcing such decision to the plate umpire. ... Four (4) pitches will be added to the pitch count."

My read is that the ump should have informed the manager that the pitcher would have to pitch to the 2-0 batter in order to finish the IBB since the at-bat had already started. Is my read correct? I can certainly see a wild pitch happening in that attempt that could allow the run to score.

First IBB matter aside, can a second IBB be issued in the same time-out, or must play resume, thus requiring another time-out request for the IBB? I'm trying to imagine if anything could take place that, albeit unlikely, should be given the opportunity to take place.

Thanks for the comments.

Joe
Go to... The Intentional Walk...before or after? - Forums