The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 19, 2017, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Question About Runner Interference if Defense Chooses Not to Make a Play?

Is this little nugget I found true under MLB rules?
"Defense Chooses Not to Make a Play
A batter bunts a ball down the third base line. If the defense allows the ball to roll with attempting to field it and the ball strikes third base before contacting the runner sliding into third, the runner is safe and ball remains in play. Even though the ball has not actually passed a fielder, the runner shall not be in jeopardy of committing interference, because the defense has chosen not to field the ball."

The page itself was referencing the Official Baseball Rules, but I can't find anything to support this anywhere.
Old Sat Aug 19, 2017, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelydew View Post
Is this little nugget I found true under MLB rules?
"Defense Chooses Not to Make a Play
A batter bunts a ball down the third base line. If the defense allows the ball to roll with attempting to field it and the ball strikes third base before contacting the runner sliding into third, the runner is safe and ball remains in play. Even though the ball has not actually passed a fielder, the runner shall not be in jeopardy of committing interference, because the defense has chosen not to field the ball."

The page itself was referencing the Official Baseball Rules, but I can't find anything to support this anywhere.
That's play #6 under the "Batted ball striking the runner" interps in PBUC/MiLBUM/MLBUM manuals. It is not in the actual OBR rulebook.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2017, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

You didn't get the answers you liked on the other web site? They were correct -- and the same as umpjim gave here.