The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 19, 2017, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Passed ball steal home

On a passed ball / wild pitch where the runner is trying to steal home, what rights does the batter have? I see some bail out just to get hit w the ball, some stay in the box claiming they are safe, but end up blocking their own runners slide. Can there be interference if the batter stays in the box during the passed ball play at the plate on the steal?
Old Fri May 19, 2017, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Clarify

... to clarify, I know less than two outs on BI that R3 is out and two outs the BR is out. My question is more to HOW to call the interference and is ANYTHING interference or is the box safe?
Old Fri May 19, 2017, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post
On a passed ball / wild pitch where the runner is trying to steal home, what rights does the batter have? I see some bail out just to get hit w the ball, some stay in the box claiming they are safe, but end up blocking their own runners slide. Can there be interference if the batter stays in the box during the passed ball play at the plate on the steal?
The batter has to vacate the plate on a wild pitch or passed ball.
On a caught pitch/ throw and an immediate tag or throw attempt ( such as a throw to retire a runner stealing 3rd) the batter is only safe from an interference call if he remains motionless in the box.
If the runner is stealing on the pitch and F2 catches the pitch the batter is best served by remaining still and it is up to the offense and defense to do their thing.
Any movement by the batter-- even if he is trying to get out of the way)--can be deemed as interference.
As to how to call it:
Signal time since the ball is now dead.
Point to the guilty party and say, "That's interference" and then signal the out.

Last edited by MT 73; Fri May 19, 2017 at 07:36pm.
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

I would say that the batter is not safe and needs to vacate the box in order to avoid hindering, confusing, obstructing a play at the plate. It is umpire judgement at this time and you should make a call that would nullify the obstruction. I recently had a similar play. Runners on second and third with one out. Passed ball and runners attempt to advance. Catcher retrieves the ball and throws to the pitcher who is covering. R3 slides and is called safe. R2 has at the same time rounded third and is attempting to score as well. At this time R3 is still on home plate and pitcher still has ball but is not paying attention to the play. Just prior to R2 attempting to score, R3 gets out of the way and R2 slides in to home before tag is applied. Ruling was: PU called "time" runners interference on his own teammate, R3 scores, R2 out on the interference. Situation is now no runners on base and 2 outs with a 1-0 count on the batter.

Last edited by rdnewton; Tue May 30, 2017 at 06:57am. Reason: forgot some stuff