The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

What is going on?

Has everyone become so good that there is nothing to talk about on this site?

I'm bored! This is as dead as our local meetings!
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

If someone wants filler conversation, help me out on this:

With MLB adopting a no-pitch walk rule (as other lower-level leagues apparently already have; I have not found text available) and the recent post on BOO . . .

Baker is the scheduled batter. However, Carl is in the on-deck circle and approaching the plate. Without the walk rule, the defense has to pitch to Carl and wait for him to reach base in order to appeal and have Baker declared out (yes?). Until that happens, Baker can correct his error at any time. With the walk rule, the defense could skip that step and simply walk Carl and appeal the BOO without a pitch, no?

How is this officiated under such rules? When can the walk be issued? How long can the offense correct their potential BOO error before the defensive manager pounces? When does the batter or apparently incorrect batter become a runner under the modified rule?

Last edited by "Lurker"77; Fri Mar 31, 2017 at 10:52am.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lurker"77 View Post

With MLB adopting a no-pitch walk rule (as other lower-level leagues apparently already have; I have not found text available) and the recent post on BOO . . .

Baker is the scheduled batter. However, Carl is in the on-deck circle and approaching the plate. Without the walk rule, the defense has to pitch to Carl and wait for him to reach base in order to appeal and have Baker declared out (yes?). Until that happens, Baker can correct his error at any time. With the walk rule, the defense could skip that step and simply walk Carl and appeal the BOO without a pitch, no?

How is this officiated under such rules? When can the walk be issued? How long can the offense correct their potential BOO error before the defensive manager pounces? When does the batter or apparently incorrect batter become a runner under the modified rule?
They have to wait for Carl to complete his AB, but you have the gist.

Bet they didn't think of your little twist.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Has everyone become so good that there is nothing to talk about on this site?

I'm bored! This is as dead as our local meetings!
In snow country, baseball is just getting going (amateur and pro) so there's not much to discuss at the moment for large segments of the country.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
In snow country, baseball is just getting going (amateur and pro) so there's not much to discuss at the moment for large segments of the country.
Makes sense. Should have know, only one game in so far. Rain though, the baseball killer.
Since you're here, would you mind checking to see if I have it right below. Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lurker"77 View Post

Yes
If no means yes, yes.
The same as if he threw 4 pitches.
Before a pitch or with any count.
Before the next pitch, play or attempted play or IBB etc...(I would wait to see if Baker came up next)
Same as always. Ex: when an IBB is awarded.

Thanks for playing!
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Makes sense. Should have know, only one game in so far. Rain though, the baseball killer.
Since you're here, would you mind checking to see if I have it right below. Tx

Yes
If no means yes, yes.
The same as if he threw 4 pitches.
Before a pitch or with any count.
Before the next pitch, play or attempted play or IBB etc...(I would wait to see if Baker came up next)
Same as always. Ex: when an IBB is awarded.

Thanks for playing!
By walking Carl "instantly" you have deprived the offense of the opportunity to correct the error. Not same as always.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

MLB made this change. Batting out of order is a once/decade thing at that level.

Did this rule even go down to MiLB yet ... much less OBR in general?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
MLB made this change. Batting out of order is a once/decade thing at that level.

Did this rule even go down to MiLB yet ... much less OBR in general?
Actually it happens once or twice a year. Usually when the manager posted something in the dugout then wrote it down differently on the official lineup card. No one met the "too stupid " definition except the manager.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
By walking Carl "instantly" you have deprived the offense of the opportunity to correct the error. Not same as always.
Ahhh!
Thought there was something there.

I have personally never had a BOO sitch. Now I say that, I'll have one next game.

Thanks.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

My one and only BOO sitch as PU came in a playoff game where the 8-seed was hanging in there with the 1-seed. 8-seed really only had one good hitter, and was down by 1 in the bottom of the last inning. Inadvertently sent their stud to bat in the 9-hole. She homered to tie it. I KNEW it was wrong, and parents on the 1-seed's side were going nuts. Little Susie 9-hole hitter came up next and struck out. Then the 2-hitter came up, took a pitch... and THEN the 1-seed came out to try to erase the homer.

Who is the next batter now??? The stud. Who hit another homer to win it.

West Houston Mike