The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Help on tag play

I am BU & I have trouble on a tag play at second & third base when the tags on the runner is high, (on his on his upper body not his leg)
This causes me look at the tag first & not watching the foot as it touches the base.
Any suggestions to get the big picture would be helpful.

Thanks,
Robert G
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Get a little farther away.

And, if the tag is high, then you need to see that the tag was first -- otherwise, the runner is safe.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

It's a tough tag play!

A tag play at 2nd and 3rd usually means the runner was not required to go, so any benefit of doubt should go to the defense if it is that close. You are going to get backlash from the offended team and supporters. If I am going to miss one on the infield, I am going to miss him out!
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
A tag play at 2nd and 3rd usually means the runner was not required to go, so any benefit of doubt should go to the defense if it is that close. You are going to get backlash from the offended team and supporters. If I am going to miss one on the infield, I am going to miss him out!
What a bizarre comment.

Isn't ANY tag play on a runner that was not required to go?

You hold it against a player for advancing when they are not required to?

Very very odd statements...

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
What a bizarre comment.

Isn't ANY tag play on a runner that was not required to go?

You hold it against a player for advancing when they are not required to?

Very very odd statements...
Last time I checked a tag play can be a force out. I am not holding it against anyone. I know a lot of umpires that beat themselves up on close plays. They linger in the umpire's mind much longer than they should. Call the play and move on to the next one without the baggage. Like Mr. Klem said "It ain't nothing until I call it and that is what it is."
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last time I checked a tag play can be a force out. I am not holding it against anyone. I know a lot of umpires that beat themselves up on close plays. They linger in the umpire's mind much longer than they should. Call the play and move on to the next one without the baggage. Like Mr. Klem said "It ain't nothing until I call it and that is what it is."
Sure, a force play can be completed with a tag ... but it doesn't normally happen that way AT a base.

My point, though, was that you seemed to be implying that any runner who dared attempt a base that he wasn't forced to advance to was going to be called out because you feel he shouldn't have tried.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Nobody" tries to apply a tag at a base if it's a force and the fielder is at the base. That said: If the on a force play the fielder is at the base and touching it and still attempts a tag (like you sometimes see in youth ball) just ignore a tag attempt - it is meaningless.

And a tag attempt for an out is a tag attempt for an out. Doesn't matter if the runner was on his own or forced.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

The OP indicated that it was a close play difficult to call due to the fact that the foot was hitting the bag at approximately the same time as the tag was applied high on the runner coming into the bag. On that type of play I consider the slide or lack of a slide, how far out in front of the bag is the fielder applying the tag and attempt to see the whole play to its conclusion. I weigh these factors before rendering a call. With that said, I am always looking for outs.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The OP indicated that it was a close play difficult to call due to the fact that the foot was hitting the bag at approximately the same time as the tag was applied high on the runner coming into the bag. On that type of play I consider the slide or lack of a slide, how far out in front of the bag is the fielder applying the tag and attempt to see the whole play to its conclusion. I weigh these factors before rendering a call. With that said, I am always looking for outs.
Which touch happened first? That's all you need to know. Stop making it complicated
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich ives View Post
which touch happened first? That's all you need to know. Stop making it complicated
+1000

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Why not require the throw go to the base and the tag to the bag? Or just call what you see?
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Upon rereading @mr. Robert E. Harrison's post, he might be trolling. He appears to be concerned with backlash from "the team and it's supporters"
Old Wed Mar 22, 2017, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Which touch happened first? That's all you need to know. Stop making it complicated
Thank you Rich, that's exactly correct.

Guys spend too much time analyzing, just watch, make the call and move on.

thanks
David