The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 11, 2016, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Abondonment Rule 7.08(a)(2)

Here's the situation: Runners at 2nd (R1) and 3rd (R2), no outs. Batter-runner hits a line drive to the SS who catches the ball for out number 1. The SS throws the ball to 3rd to try and double up R2. R2 is called safe, but he thinks that he was called out. The ball is thrown back to the pitcher. R2 begins trotting towards the 1st base dugout. The pitcher throws the ball back to 3rd base and the 3rd baseman steps on the bag, the field umpire signals out. Meanwhile R2 makes it as far as 15-20 feet past home plate (10 feet from the dugout) before he realizes that he was called safe due to his teammates yelling at him. R2 then turns around and runs to touch home plate where he is called safe at home by the home plate umpire.

Should this have been called abandonment? Everyone could clearly tell that he had no intention of touching home plate until he got back near the dugout. I was catching and made the mistake of asking if he was out of the baseline rather then asking if he should be called out for abandonment. I didn't even bring up the fact that the field umpire had already signaled out (clearly is was not thinking straight). What do you make of this mess?
Old Mon Jul 11, 2016, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Probably.

BUT

Why did U3 call R2 out when F5 stepped on the 3B?
Old Mon Jul 11, 2016, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Probably.

BUT

Why did U3 call R2 out when F5 stepped on the 3B?
That is what really threw me off. I don't know why. But i saw him do it as the catcher and focused my attention on R1 assuming he must have had a reason. Had I been coaching I would have been more effective at getting an explanation. But I don't think he called him out because of abandonment because he waited for the 3rd baseman to step on the bag so it looked more like an appeal. Even though the runner clearly re-touched the bag when he was originally called safe.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2016, 07:49am
Official & ***** Member

It's really not a mess if the correct call (R3 out for abandonment) stands. The umpires should get together & fix their screw-up.
Old Thu Jul 14, 2016, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

In most rule codes, I can't imagine this being abandonment at all.

West Houston Mike