The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Signs,Signs,Signs......

How many of us get a partner that wants signs every 5sec, or so it feels like? Worked with a guy this weekend DH, and it was almost distracting while he was behind the dish. Or am I sounding lazy......? I just don't need constant feedback or signs. I know your staying home...I know it's a rotation...
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

30 year airline pilots still go through a checklist before every flight. And signs every 5 secs? Sounds like a wee bit of hyperbole, though more than once per batter (unless the situation changed, like 1st and 3rd becoming 2nd and 3rd from a steal) would indeed be a bit much. You don't have to make a show of it or even really repeat them back, a simple quick nod would suffice much of the time. But there's little downside and the one time you don't do it may just be the one time you forget that rotation, or spaced out momentarily and didn't realize there were two outs and call that IFF inadvertently or...you know.

Also, the signs may simply be your partner's way of reminding HIMSELF of the situation. I know I use them partly for that. Heck, though I rarely do 1 man games anymore, when I do I still will go thru the sign motions on occasion to remind myself of IFF situations, etc.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Lets see, did you have a pre-game? That's where you discuss those things.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2016, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Lets see, did you have a pre-game? That's where you discuss those things.
And a good postgame!
Old Sun Apr 24, 2016, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad27 View Post
How many of us get a partner that wants signs every 5sec, or so it feels like? Worked with a guy this weekend DH, and it was almost distracting while he was behind the dish. Or am I sounding lazy......? I just don't need constant feedback or signs. I know your staying home...I know it's a rotation...
It's better than a plate umpire who never gives signs or the count. Yeah I had one of those once. I went to him to ask him to give the count please on X-2, or 3-X. His response, "I don't like to insert myself into the game."

Rita
Old Sun Apr 24, 2016, 07:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I worked a game with a broken scoreboard earlier this season. Made me realize how little I normally give the count. If the scoreboard's right, I rarely give it at all.
Old Sun Apr 24, 2016, 07:40pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I worked a game with a broken scoreboard earlier this season. Made me realize how little I normally give the count. If the scoreboard's right, I rarely give it at all.
On the other hand, my first game last week had a scoreboard operator that couldn't keep the count straight to save her life... I think I had to correct the count about 30 times.

And she was sitting just behind the backstop, literally less than 10 feet away from me.

So, now that I think about it... I give the count:
a) if there's no scoreboard: every 2-3 pitches and/or after something unusual (stolen base, coaches conference, wild pitch, etc)
b) If there's a count displayed on the scoreboard: only if the count displayed is incorrect.

As for other signs... I give them before the beginning of each at-bat, mainly for my own reminder.
Old Sun Apr 24, 2016, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
With a perfectly accurate scoreboard I think I would always give the count to my crew on an action pitch.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2016, 06:51am
Official & ***** Member

Our state asks us to show & announce the count on pitches 3 & 5. Personally, I let the batter & catcher know on every pitch after that.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2016, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
On the other hand, my first game last week had a scoreboard operator that couldn't keep the count straight to save her life... I think I had to correct the count about 30 times.
That's way too many times to be wrong. If she can't keep it right, turn it off.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2016, 08:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
With a perfectly accurate scoreboard I think I would always give the count to my crew on an action pitch.
I'm pretty fortunate to work mainly with top notch umpires. We don't give a lot of signals, we don't flash the count often with a working scoreboard. We just umpire.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2016, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
I was PU on a varsity game and my partner would flash every signal I showed.

After the game, I asked him why and he said "I'm supposed to repeat back to you." I tried to explain that he did not need to repeat balls and strikes but only the "time" plays and IF signals.

He would not listen.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.