The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Appealable

NFHS Game. Lead off Right handed batter. FU in position A. Inside pitch to batter. No reaction from batter or anyone else except PU who rules HBP, says pitch grazed batter's jersey. Defensive coach thinking FU had a good view request help from FU. PU rules decision not appealable? Is this correct?
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 06:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchcoach View Post
NFHS Game. Lead off Right handed batter. FU in position A. Inside pitch to batter. No reaction from batter or anyone else except PU who rules HBP, says pitch grazed batter's jersey. Defensive coach thinking FU had a good view request help from FU. PU rules decision not apealable? Is this correct?
What do you mean by appealable?

A coach/team is never entitled to get the opinion of another umpire on a judgment call he's made unless the umpire who made the call is willing to ask a partner. This should be quite rare.

The PU saying it's not appealable is likely his way of saying, "No, I'm not asking my partner 100+ feet away when I saw if just fine myself."
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Benchcoach has discovered a rule book which he seems to be reading literally.

Should we tell him there are several versions of the rules - with enough differences to have a several hundred page book available to describe the differences?
Old Sat Apr 09, 2016, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Benchcoach has discovered a rule book which he seems to be reading literally.

Should we tell him there are several versions of the rules - with enough differences to have a several hundred page book available to describe the differences?
No! Not until he changes name to "Benchump".
Old Sat Apr 09, 2016, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I'm not a member of the club but I do have many years coaching experience in baseball. Yes I like to read the rule books; OBR, NFHS, NCAA and USSSA to name a few. I also like to gather with our local umpires to watch film and discuss past games, rules and changes. I have always had a congenial relationship with the local umps. I am proud to say in all my years, I have never been ejected from a game. I have received calls from umpires telling me they consulted rules and discovered they were wrong in fact about an past dispute we had and I have placed calls to umpires when I was wrong. On at least three occasions I have been told my players have good umpire etiquette. I joined this site to broaden my contacts with umpires. I like to be able to explain to my players why an umpire decided the way the way he did in the language of umpires. I do not tolerate my players thinking something is unfair or the umpires are against them. If a player does like an umpire's strike zone, it is up to him to adjust and play the game, not whine and pout.
To those who find my questions and citations of rules annoying..."Tough." As I teach my players when others call names or enjoy being snide, it is a reflection on them, not you. I am here to learn and pass knowledge onto my players. To those who contribute to my better understanding..."Thanks." It is good to remember that the day you think you know it all, is the day you start becoming ignorant.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2016, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not a member of the club but I do have many years coaching experience in baseball. Yes I like to read the rule books; OBR, NFHS, NCAA and USSSA to name a few. I also like to gather with our local umpires to watch film and discuss past games, rules and changes. I have always had a congenial relationship with the local umps. I am proud to say in all my years, I have never been ejected from a game. I have received calls from umpires telling me they consulted rules and discovered they were wrong in fact about an past dispute we had and I have placed calls to umpires when I was wrong. On at least three occasions I have been told my players have good umpire etiquette. I joined this site to broaden my contacts with umpires. I like to be able to explain to my players why an umpire decided the way the way he did in the language of umpires. I do not tolerate my players thinking something is unfair or the umpires are against them. If a player does like an umpire's strike zone, it is up to him to adjust and play the game, not whine and pout.
To those who find my questions and citations of rules annoying..."Tough." As I teach my players when others call names or enjoy being snide, it is a reflection on them, not you. I am here to learn and pass knowledge onto my players. To those who contribute to my better understanding..."Thanks." It is good to remember that the day you think you know it all, is the day you start becoming ignorant.
Here's the thing...It's great that you want to learn. However, when you quickly go to snarky comments as you did in the other threads, that removes any idea that you indeed are looking for self-improvement.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2016, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NFHS Game. Lead off Right handed batter. FU in position A. Inside pitch to batter. No reaction from batter or anyone else except PU who rules HBP, says pitch grazed batter's jersey. Defensive coach thinking FU had a good view request help from FU. PU rules decision not apealable? Is this correct?
No, it's not correct: an "appeal" is a term of art, referring to the defense challenging a baserunning infraction--a runner missing a base or leaving too soon on a catch.

But the PU was correct in that it is not the kind of call where you ask your partner for help. The difference is between seeing something definite and seeing nothing, so to speak. The PU saw the ball hit the batter; that fact is not altered if the BU did not.

It is important to use the correct terminology.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2016, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Here's the thing...It's great that you want to learn. However, when you quickly go to snarky comments as you did in the other threads, that removes any idea that you indeed are looking for self-improvement.
Fair enough Matt. As an old coach, the phrase "don't care" tends to set me off. But that is no excuse for sniping. To anyone I may have offended in prior posts, I apologize. I am here to learn.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2016, 10:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Fair enough Matt. As an old coach, the phrase "don't care" tends to set me off. But that is no excuse for sniping. To anyone I may have offended in prior posts, I apologize. I am here to learn.
Sometimes we don't care. We won't tell you that on the field, but it's still how we feel at the time.

I'm frequently asked to "get help" on swipe tags and pulled feet -- plays where I've worked hard, gotten into position, seen the play, and made the call. When you ask me, I'm telling you that I'm not getting help. You'll be disappointed or upset. And I...you guessed it...won't care.

(And I had to edit the thread -- I can't continue to look at the word appeal spelled incorrectly.)