The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Do you think this is a Balk?

I don't know, guys but this looks like a balk to me!!!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2591331
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 10:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
I don't know, guys but this looks like a balk to me!!!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2591331
Nobody on base, can't be a balk.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

I'm no MLB Umpire but it looks like an illegal pitch to me, based on the following:

OBR 8.01(a) in part "From this position any natural movement associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without interruption or alteration. He shall not raise either foot from the ground, except that in his actual delivery of the ball to the batter, he may take one step backward, and one step forward with his free foot.

Underline added for emphasis
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchcoach View Post
I'm no MLB Umpire but it looks like an illegal pitch to me, based on the following:

OBR 8.01(a) in part "From this position any natural movement associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without interruption or alteration. He shall not raise either foot from the ground, except that in his actual delivery of the ball to the batter, he may take one step backward, and one step forward with his free foot.

It's MLB. Nobody cares.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 09:53am
Official & ***** Member

Pitchers..........SMH
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

OBR: An ILLEGAL PITCH is (1) a pitch delivered to the batter when the
pitcher does not have his pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate; (2)
a quick return pitch. An illegal pitch when runners are on base is a balk.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 10:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I wouldn't care about this delivery in any level of baseball.

Then again, I don't umpire in a rulebook -- I umpire on an actual field.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
OBR: An ILLEGAL PITCH is (1) a pitch delivered to the batter when the
pitcher does not have his pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate; (2)
a quick return pitch. An illegal pitch when runners are on base is a balk.
OBR 8.01 (a)The Windup in part, "He shall not raise either foot from the ground, except that in his actual delivery of the ball to the batter, he may take one step backward, and one step forward with his free foot.

OBR 8.01 (d) If the pitcher makes an illegal pitch with the bases unoccupied, it shall be called a ball unless the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit bat- ter or otherwise.

Part (a) of the rule says can't do it part (d) describes the penalty.
What is your point and why does not the pitch delivery in the video in the original post violate the Rule?
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I wouldn't care about this delivery in any level of baseball.

Then again, I don't umpire in a rulebook -- I umpire on an actual field.
Your post basically says you don't care and you don't read. Too bad you choose to ignore the Rulebook. You might want to learn the rules before you take the field. Ignorance is not something one generally takes pride in. It is insightful that you are unable to explain why the delivery in question would in fact be legal.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 02:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Your post basically says you don't care and you don't read. Too bad you choose to ignore the Rulebook. You might want to learn the rules before you take the field. Ignorance is not something one generally takes pride in. It is insightful that you are unable to explain why the delivery in question would in fact be legal.
My work speaks for itself.

It's not that I can't explain, it's that I couldn't possibly care to. Big difference.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OBR 8.01 (a)The Windup in part, "He shall not raise either foot from the ground, except that in his actual delivery of the ball to the batter, he may take one step backward, and one step forward with his free foot.

OBR 8.01 (d) If the pitcher makes an illegal pitch with the bases unoccupied, it shall be called a ball unless the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit bat- ter or otherwise.

Part (a) of the rule says can't do it part (d) describes the penalty.
What is your point and why does not the pitch delivery in the video in the original post violate the Rule?
(d) is not referring to (a). In OBR, an Illegal Pitch is one of two things only -- a quick pitch or a pitch while not in contact with the rubber.

And, (a) is routinely ignored in MLB (and MiLB). Both of these would fall into the category of the "234 known errors in OBR".
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

An answer! Thank you. As I understand you explanation the pitcher is exploiting a short coming in the rules. Even though the windup definition says he "SHALL NOT", there is no penalty for the infraction. This begs the question.."How many times could he raise and lower his leg before being called for delay?"
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
An answer! Thank you. As I understand you explanation the pitcher is exploiting a short coming in the rules. Even though the windup definition says he "SHALL NOT", there is no penalty for the infraction. This begs the question.."How many times could he raise and lower his leg before being called for delay?"
From windup EVERY pitcher picks up his pivot foot and repositions it. Gonna call that one?
Old Sat Apr 09, 2016, 01:25am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

While the rules are in black and white, they are not supposed to be enforced as such. Many of the rules require interpretation or an understanding of why they are there in the first place. Especially OBR, which is a convoluted mess cobbled together over decades of changes. It's in need of a good rewriting.

It might help to know who you're chastising before embarking on such a crusade.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2016, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
The first time I saw that and some of the other actions by pitchers during Spring play, I could not understand why it wasn't being called.

I have since learned that this has been discussed and the PROs are going back to the original ruling where "if a patcher is consistent in his movements with runners on base as he is with no one on, then it shall not be considered a balk/illegal patch".

I believe this was first printed in the 1903 or 1913 time frame.

The discussion was that the umpires were becoming too strict and needs to "let the players play".
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.