The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Trouble Official

Here's a question to any official, how do you handle this situation from a official's chapter view.

You have a official who is a very good umpire, does some college ball and is a quality umpire. He lives in a different district from your chapter but maintains a business in your area.
He is on your chapters roster from the state but in the last two years he has attended only 1 meeting that your chapter holds. He rarely officiates for your chapter but at the end of the season he takes control of your playoff officials and becomes crew chief for all playoff games.
Do your chapter have rules about attending "YOUR" meetings and officiating your conferences games before playoffs?
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 05:39pm
Archaic Power Monger

My association has bylaws that require a certain number of meetings to be attended to be considered a member in good standing and to be a playoff eligible official.

What does your chapter require? How are playoff games assigned? How is the crew chief assigned?
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABlue View Post
Here's a question to any official, how do you handle this situation from a official's chapter view.

You have a official who is a very good umpire, does some college ball and is a quality umpire. He lives in a different district from your chapter but maintains a business in your area.
He is on your chapters roster from the state but in the last two years he has attended only 1 meeting that your chapter holds. He rarely officiates for your chapter but at the end of the season he takes control of your playoff officials and becomes crew chief for all playoff games.
Do your chapter have rules about attending "YOUR" meetings and officiating your conferences games before playoffs?
When you say "playoffs" are you referring to district playoff games? I would assume so being that this official would be not assigned any inter-district games.

If you are referring to the district playoffs, then this becomes an issue with the district chairman and district official's rep (I would assume District 10 with your location). If that doesn't produce your desired satisfaction, contact the state office. He he isn't fulfilling his meeting obligations, the state office will intervene.

I say this as someone who is knowledgeable of PIAA. Go to your district's official's rep, that's what they are there for.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

His attendance has been a bone of contention for the last three years but even though he has been turned into the PIAA for non attendance he somehow keeps being reinstated. Yes Big Slick he has worked district and inter district playoffs. Our chapter turns in a list of umpires to the Baseball committee chairman that are interested in working playoffs. Somehow he is the person who that is being contacted for our chapter and he picks his crew and then acts as crew chief.
Our chapter has never been contacted about his reinstatements or even questioned about his attendance. Changing the bylaws of our chapter has been discussed to say you must attend OUR meetings to belong to our chapter, but nothing has been accomplished so far.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABlue View Post
His attendance has been a bone of contention for the last three years but even though he has been turned into the PIAA for non attendance he somehow keeps being reinstated. Yes Big Slick he has worked district and inter district playoffs. Our chapter turns in a list of umpires to the Baseball committee chairman that are interested in working playoffs. Somehow he is the person who that is being contacted for our chapter and he picks his crew and then acts as crew chief.
Our chapter has never been contacted about his reinstatements or even questioned about his attendance. Changing the bylaws of our chapter has been discussed to say you must attend OUR meetings to belong to our chapter, but nothing has been accomplished so far.
It sounds to me that your chapter's hierarchy is to blame for this whole thing. If the member is in violation and keeps getting reinstated, then you need to find out why this member is allowed to violate the rules and is it alright for the rest of the membership be allowed to do the same? Believe me, I've been there and this is the only way to drive home to the hierarchy that you and the rest of the membership will not stand for this.

As far as this member being the UIC for the playoffs, that falls on the association running the show. The best advice I can give about this is if you don't like it, don't work the playoffs, it's that simple.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Yes he keeps getting reinstated but its not by our chapter. The state every year shows him as being a member in good standing, no explanation is given to the chapter for why this is.
I don't work the playoffs anymore because of this situation. It doesn't feel right to me and can't allow myself to be part of the problem.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Other chapters?

Do you know if he attends other chapters' meetings? The PIAA requires attendance at six meetings but does not require that they be "his" chapter's meetings.

I officiate volleyball so I don't know how it works with other sports but for District volleyball playoffs playoffs, all officials are assigned by the District rep. For inter-districts, officials are assigned by the PIAA office.

I'm not sure how receptive the PIAA would be with you requiring chapter members to attend "your" meetings to stay a member. I know of several officials in several sports in my area that have to attend other chapters' meetings in order to meet their quota of meetings due to any number of meeting-date conflicts. If all chapters decided to make that stipulation, the PIAA would be even more desperate than they are now to have warm bodies officiating contests!
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

I totally understand about making up meetings at another chapter, but what gets us is he doesn't attend any of our meetings.