The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Written warnings

This year in games played under National Federation rules, for any minor violation of Rule 3-3-1f, 1-5, (g-k), the offending coach will receive a written warning and will be restricted to the bench/dugout for the remainder of the game. I would be interested in knowing if any umpire, any umpire board, or any state association has yet designed a written warning. If so, would you be willing to share its verbiage with the rest of us? I envision it to be short and sweet, containing the date of the game, the coach's name, the reason for the restriction, and the issuing umpire's name. Myself, I would prefer the form be in duplicate, so that I could save a copy for my records. What are your thoughts?

Many thanks,

Hancock Blue

"You spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball, and it turns out it was the other way around all the time."
- Jim Bouton
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

You're not giving the written portion of the warning to the coach. Just make a note on the back of the lineup card.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Phew, that is the practice we have been following for years. I was afraid that we would be actually handing the written warning to the coach, a difficult action at best. Thanks for the clarification.

Hancock Blue

"That's baseball, and it's my game y'know; you take your worries to the game, and you leave 'em there. You yell like crazy for your guys. It's good for the lungs, gives you a lift, and nobody calls the cops.
~Humphrey Bogart~
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 07:39am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You're not giving the written portion of the warning to the coach. Just make a note on the back of the lineup card.

When Junior and I were watching the mandatory OhioHSAA Online State Rules Meeting, the first thought that came to us was that it would be like writing a ticket. LOL! So that is what we call it: We will give the HC a ticket for being a bad boy! LOL!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Rule wording and the wording in the POE do not match up.

POE wording says in 3-3-1 "we are provided tools to issue a written warning, THEN (emphasis added) restriction...."

3-3-1 says it's a restriction WHEN the written warning is given.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 06:10pm
Coach Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
"we are provided tools to issue a written warning...
A rule or policy can be considered a tool. It's a way to restrict a coach and the procedure for doing it.
Baseball Instructor / Coach
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rcaverly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Rule wording and the wording in the POE do not match up.
In Ohio I was told that a coach's written warning for 3-3-1 violations is concurrent with his restriction. Team written warnings for 3-3-1 violations (a. team personnel outside the dugout, b. fake tag, c. careless throwing of the bat, d. jewelry or bandanas, e. hitting fungo after the game starts) still need to be written, but do not carry a restriction for the coach.

OTO, other rules violations require a coach's restriction without a warning: e.g.; 3-2-1 (coach out of uniform) 3-2-4 (coach refuses to attend pre-game meeting) 4-1-3b. (use of illegal bat.)