The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Complex play

I would be interested in some opinions about the following convoluted play:

PLAY: 1 out, R2. On the pitch, R2 is attempting to steal 3rd. Batter hits the ball but catcher's interference is called. The play remains live. The ball drops in the outfield for a hit. R2 attempts to score and is thrown out at the plate. The BR advances safely to 2nd on the throw to the plate. However, BR missed 1st base during his advance.

Possibility #1: The defense immediately appeals BR's miss of 1st and he is called out. Since the BR didn't successfully reach 1st (because of the successful appeal), CI must be enforced. The out on R2 at the plate is nullified and he is placed at 3rd base since he was attempting to steal on the play. The BR is awarded 1st. Net result: R1 & R3, still 1 out.

Possibility #2: What if the defense fails to appeal the missed base? Then, CI is ignored since all runners safely advanced one base. Net result: BR at 2nd, 2 outs.

Possibility #3: Let's say Possibility #2 plays out and the dust settles. Time is called and there is some confusion. The umpire explains how CI is not enforced since all the runners advanced 1 base. However, when the ball is put back in play, only then does the defense decide to appeal that the BR missed 1st. Are we back at Possibility #1? It seems this would be a huge mistake on the part of the defense. Correct?

In Possibility #1, where CI is enforced, would there be any advantage in the offense "taking the result of the play?" It seems that would be a horrible decision since the "result of the play" involved R2 getting thrown out at the plate AND the BR being called out for missing 1st. The result would be THREE outs, inning over.

It seems that the defense should not appeal the missed base and, if they do, the offense should not take the "result of the play". Would you agree?

I know this is kind of a Third World play and the likelihood of this ever happening are remote; so, think of it as an academic exercise in understanding the rules. Correct any of my "logic" if it is wrong. I'm sure I must have got something wrong.

Thanks!
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

If the batter reaches first but misses it, then he is assumed to have reached it for purposes of CI.

The batter is out if appealed; no option for the offense.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If the batter reaches first but misses it, then he is assumed to have reached it for purposes of CI.

The batter is out if appealed; no option for the offense.
I like that! That certainly simplifies things greatly. Thanks!
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 06:07pm
Coach Paul

As Bob says, the CI is waived off because the BR and R2 advanced at least one base (at least for the purpose of enforcing CI). All you have to sort out is the appeal -- if it's made. The defense will of course make the appeal if they noticed the missed base because the inning would now be over. I think Bob's got this nailed.
Baseball Instructor / Coach