View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 07, 2016, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
For NCAAM folks...

Is this a primary or secondary defender? I know the rule says that in an outnumbering fastbreak that all defenders are "initially" secondary; but when do primary defenders begin to exist, so to speak, on a fastbreak?

Not sure if that has anything to do with this play, but just curious.
Some of this you know but i think it helps to see it all...

Secondary defenders are players who come to help after another defender, primary, is beaten. A player coming to double the low post is also considered a secondary defender.

Secondary defenders cannot set up in the RA to attempt TO TAKE a charge or a "push" foul. They can jump to try to block a shot or pass. If they are in the RA and try to take a charge etc it is an automatic block.

In outnumbering fast break situations, say a 2 on 1 or even a 3 on 2, all defenders are considered secondary. They cannot try to take charge etc in the RA. When the fast break is over, say they pull the ball out, or shoot it other rules kick back in. After a rebound there are NO secondary defenders IF the rebounder makes an immediate move the the basket. Everybody is primary so the RA restriction isn't relevant.

If the ball is pulled out we go back to regular rules. a primary defender is guarding a player and a secondary player is one who comes to help after primary beaten. I havnt seen interps on arbiter etc but this is how i interp it.

If the fast break is 2 on 2 then the defender guarding the ball is primary. if offense comes at him and he sets up in RA and takes charge he is ok. He is primary. it was not an outnumbering break. If defender beats him and the remaining defender slides over, he is a secondary defender and RA rules apply.