View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 06, 2016, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
*I was surprised that the crew was entirely female. Not even one male ref. Which prompted me to wonder--since I had recently been writing about "age, racial, and gender bias" in officiating--why was a male ref not on there?

I have to be very cautious about drawing conclusions because it has been pointed out to me that my analysis of "age, gender, racial bias in the officiating industry" is too "simplistic". Was the evaluative rating of the male refs too low? Was there not a male ref willing to request the game? Were these the three highest rated refs available--which just by sheer probability just happened to be all "female"?
If I were to postulate why there were no male refs in that game, then the most parsimonious explanation would simply be: "the assignor only wanted to use only female refs".
The pool of officials for the later portions of the tournament is small. One part of the criteria for those assignments is performance in post season and tournament games.
"...a male ref requesting the game..." doesn't happen. (Perhaps blue font would've been appropriate with your statement?)
The goal, on the Women's side, has always been to eventually fill Women's game assignments with women officials.