View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I believe the question Boomer wants to ask is what do we do on a throw-in that's touched by the defense first in the frontcourt and then bounds into the back court. Would the 10-second count start when the ball hits the backboard or when Team A touches or possesses the ball in the backcourt.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
You are getting to the heart of my questions. I'm trying to get a better understanding of what the criteria is for starting the 10-second count and how to administer the count if the shot clock and 10-second count don't both start at 30. Here is a bullet point recap of what I feel like I've learned thus far:
  • When inbounding the ball, contact with any player starts the shot clock and the 10-second count if said player is in the backcourt of the team in possession.
  • When the ball being inbounded is deflected into the backcourt by B who is in the front court, the shot clock starts and the 10-second count starts when the ball is touched by A in the backcourt.
  • When the ball is in play in the frontcourt and is deflected into the backcourt by B, the shot clock continues and the 10-second count starts when the ball is touched by A in the backcourt.
  • When the 10-second count and the shot clock start simultaneously, the 10-second count is administered via the shot clock and it is a violation if the ball has not been advanced before the shot clock shows 20 seconds.
  • If the 10-second count is started after the shot clock shows less than 30 seconds, the shot clock can still be utilized to administer 10-second count. Alternatively a visible count is acceptable (required if the shot clock is turned off or not visible).

Where I'm still not 100% certain is when the 10-second count starts if A has advanced the ball into the frontcourt and the ball is then then deflected by B into the backcourt and is touched by B (or an official if it makes any difference) in the backcourt.

Last edited by BoomerSooner; Tue Mar 22, 2016 at 04:34pm.