View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 12:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
It's funny, Jeff. My supervisors/observers/fellow officials at the NCAA level run the gamut on this issue, from call the really obvious ones to analyzing every move step by step. The one thing that's a constant is people say if I'm the best official at calling traveling I won't go too far. I remember an NCAAW preseason meeting video from within the past decade where the clinician flat out said to let stuff go on some of the spin moves, especially in the post. Now we've moved back to "call the rules as written." I just do my best to roll with it.
I can honestly say that I have never been told not to call travels at the college level. Also the NCAA video has shown many missed travels over the last few years so they clearly want us to call them on some level.

Again, I think many of these plays are just hard to call. I get some plays right and I struggle with others. I also do not want to go to the default position that any spin or euro step is a travel. I have seen many executed correctly and if it does not stand out, I am not calling them just because. I need something to identify as a travel. I just think that all officials are inconsistent in calling travels. Again, I try to get the "big" ones as much as possible, but like any other officials I miss them sometimes. It is no different than not calling a carry or getting an out of bounds play wrong.

Peace