View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnolan View Post
ble

So here's more of my take on the sitch after seeing this entire thing play out....
IMO, I hate the knock the guy but....I know that Trail is just trying to help out, but I'm sorry. He needs to let the Lead live with his call and deal with an irate coach himself. Lead sold his call hard, so I can only assume that he 100% believed he was right. When the coach comes well out of his box to argue the call, and by book, warrants a T just for that, maybe after the Lead reports, he can calm him down back into his box and we can continue playing ball. In that situation, it depends on what he says exactly...but 99% of the time, I'm going to T him up as well. And maybe the Lead should have T'd him up quicker, and the Trail would not of had to get involved. Either way, I don't think this is the Trail's fight to enter.
First and foremost the coach's actions have absolutely no place in a basketball game at any level, let alone a scholastic environment. He deserves whatever negative consequences come about as a result.

From on officiating perspective I agree with much of the above. I understand the sentiment of having your partner's back but I think the Trail should have given the Lead another second or two to handle the situation himself.

And when he comes in with the T he does so rather aggressively while stepping toward the coach. I don't think its fair to characterize it as "extreme anger/emotion" as another poster stated but I do think its fair to suggest that its not a good practice to issue a T in such a manner in this situation.

A sad situation for HS basketball as a direct result of the coach's inability to control himself but hopefully a learning experience for all.