View Single Post
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 12:22pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
If it was an IF (and the "I dunno" may indicate there isn't), the BR is out, by rule. Now the question is of any attached jeopardy created by the delayed call? Since this is a punitive effect and that runner would have been ruled out even if the IF was called in a timely fashion, I see no jeopardy to R1 caused by the umpire's delayed ruling. R2 & R3 returned to 2B & 1B, respectively
I don't think that was his original question. If the batter is out on the declared IFF call, she is now considered a retired batter. Then, she runs into F3 and prevents her from catching the fly ball. Since we now have a retired batter interfering with the fielder's opportunity to field a batted ball, do we invoke FED 8-6-16c and rule the runner closest to home out as well? Unless I missed it, I'm not sure I saw an answer here.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker