View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 17, 2015, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

This is a HTBT situation but based on my interpretation of the events as described there are several things I would advise to handle differently.

1) "The Coach continues to complain that he just passed him the ball like asked. I walk over and replace my partner. In which time the Coach keeps loudly complaining and gesturing with a final that's ridiculous thrown in. I issue a second technical foul and turn to walk away. It was approximately 25 seconds between technicals without a stop in complaining or him sitting. Is this too quick?"

I can't say if it was too quick for the 2nd T but I can say that it sounds like both you and your partner were hanging out way too LONG by the HC after issuing the initial T. I pregame that we treat coach Ts like boxing- stick and move. Everyone should get away from the coach. You should not have "replaced" your partner. Call the T, administer the FTs, and get the game going. If he's still standing then you quickly remind him he's lost the box and needs to have a seat. And then the 2nd whack if needed. You say 25 seconds had passed from the first T to the 2nd. Have we shot any FTs yet? Way too much time talking to the coach and its only asking for trouble to continue engaging the coach when he's acting like that. Stick him and get away, give him a moment to calm down, and then toss him if needed.

2) "While shooting the first two free throws the assistant V coach is complaining to my partner while pacing and gesturing with his arms. After the first two free throws I replace my partner and tell him that I'm thinking of a forfeit if the assistant Coach will not comply."

I've been in some hostile situations with coaches and my mind has never gone straight to a forfeit. Let the AC know he does not have the privilege of the coaching box and whatever words work for you to let him know that you and your partner have control of the game and he needs to focus on coaching. Whack him too if needed. But I just don't see how your mind goes straight to a forfeit and I would never threaten a forfeit in that manner.

Again, its a HTBT but it doesnt sound to me like a good job of handling the situation. It sounds like you and your partner engaged the coaches on poor terms and then went to the nuclear option rather quickly. Learn to be more direct and efficient in your discussions with coaches and perhaps develop more presence and command of the game. My assignors would be shocked and pissed if we had called a forfeit and then described what was in the OP.