Thread: Ejection
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 07, 2015, 01:08pm
This IS My Social Life

Do I Got This Right?

Interesting things I didn't know before.
First, the book does not speak of "ejection" of a player, only, as in Casebook 10.5, of a disqualified player required to leave the vicinity of the court in the extreme situation noted above. Therefore, a player can be "disqualified", and forced to leave the vicinity of the court, but not, as the term is frequently used, "ejected."
Second, the terms "disqualified" and "ejected" seem to be used synonymously for the head coach, when merited. A disqualified coach or adult bench personnel seem to be ejected, forced to leave the vicinity of the court, and an ejected coach is one who has been disqualified -- 10-4, 10-5 (last NOTE in each).

Here's the only reference in either Rulebook or Casebook dealing with the player having to leave the vicinity of the court:
10.5: ...A disqualified team member or student bench personnel shall go to or remain on the bench. However, in an unusual situation, an official has the authority to require that these individuals who have committed a flagrant technical foul must leave the vicinity of the court. This action is necessary when permitting such offenders to remain at courtside would tend to incite the crowd, to incite the opponents, or to subject the officials, opponents or others administering the game, to unsporting harassment. In such circumstances, the official should require the individual who has committed a flagrant foul to leave the vicinity of the court with an adult supervisor.
It must be emphasized that an official does have this authority, when the circumstances resulting from any flagrant foul warrant it. (10-5 Note)

Is this right?

Last edited by Freddy; Wed Jan 07, 2015 at 01:17pm. Reason: added "adult bench personnel"