Thread: Clever Ruse
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Was working a youth (8th grade boys) game on Sat., score was 45(team A)- 44 (team B), time left = 45 secs. Team A had ball and all during game they were feeding this really talented big kid the ball down low (i.e., kid could really execute the drop step and spin moves in the post; but was a poor defensive player and had 4 fouls). Team B calls time out and just prior to play resuming, a guard from Team B comes over to me (mind you I am in the trail position now) and tells me "mr. referee watch me I'm going to draw a charge foul on the center). I said "OK". So when play resumes the Team A throws ball into the post, big kid Team A drop steps and the guard on Team B "flops". Team A wins by 5 pts.
*I guess the coach of Team B told the kid to tell me that he was going to draw a charge. I am soooooo glad my crew member in the lead position did NOT buy into the flop!
*Coaches always working the angles---
Coach waits all game to make an adjustment and that's what he comes up with? Have the guard cover their talented big man, and hope he commits a charge?