Thread: Wwyd
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 03:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
The point I was trying to make is when is enough enough? and Do you really consider racism to be something that is judged on a level of mild to severe and only what you would consider racist?

To me its like and OOB call, either their foot is on the line or it isn't. There is no grey.
I am going to have to disagree with this on some level. There are many things that people say that are not well known. Or might be taken in a different way. This reference in the OP might have taken me a couple of minutes to pick up on the issue. A word like "nigger" would not. There is a lot of racial language that is offensive if you change the region of the country or region of a state, conference or sometimes an incident that would make the issues different. No one is saying we should just ignore a situation, but one word might not inflame others and one word would that I referenced. Heck if someone used that one word toward African-Americans, you might have fans outside of the court confronting other fans or students. That is all I am saying. And I do not feel a T is always the best way to handle these situations. If an administration knows of things, they might take action before we even know what happened.

To give you a better example is there was a coach in my area that put on the wall of a locker room of his team saying, "Hard work will set you free." Well I would not have picked up on that reference, but apparently during the Holocast, that term was used in Germany at a concentration camp by the German Government. Well the coach was suspended for a couple of games for that stunt and when I was told as an African-American of this, I had no idea what was done wrong. It had to be explained to me the context of these words or how this would be seen as offensive. Well because the school district this took place had a very high Jewish population, they took big offense to those words and took action. And I was not offended, but understood after hearing the story. The OP would have probably caught me off guard in a similar way as it is not common that that is used towards someone of that background by saying something about a slurpee.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 03:45am.