View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 27, 2013, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd1172 View Post
The correctable error has to be recognized by an official no later than during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started. Changing possession doesn't constitute a dead ball.
A2 shoots 1 and 1 (should be 2 shots)= live ball
misses first one, B1 rebounds = live ball
A2 steals ball = live ball
B3 rejects shot, B4 has possession = live ball
ball goes out of bounds = dead ball
scorer realizes they made an error on free throws = correctable.
All correct, of course, but doesn't match the (either) case play presented at the beginning.

There's no doubt that the first case is still correctable (so A gets the FTs) -- the question is do you resume with a throw in to B or resume from A's FTs? Does the "unless there has been no change of possession" clause in the rule apply? If you believe the case, then the answer is "yes".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
This is funny, I was reading this yesterday and noticed that as well. The one that really sounded funny to me was in that same section where there is a foul and Team A should be in the 1 and 1, but the officials allow A to inbound, Team A scores, then the error is caught. The case book says count the bucket and allow A to shoot bonus free throws. That just sounded wrong to me.
It sounds wrong because it seems (to most) to be "unfair." But, it is correct according to the rule. I have often said that the CE rule is such that *BOTH* teams are incented to get it right before the error because they don't know what will happen after. "("Shh .. don't say anything but A should be shooting FTs and instead they are just taking the ball OOB. ... What do you mean they can now turn this into a 4-point play!? ")