View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, but I don't really see the problem (personally, I don't really like either team), other than the fact that the whistle blew prematurely. I would have called this a fumble. NOW, if they want to rule him down here based on intent to take a knee, that's fine, but the actions of the defense by getting on the ball are reasonable. I've been watching football my entire life - over 40 years and I've never, ever seen a QB do anything like that. There's no way in hell I'm flagging the D for jumping on the ball, and if I ruled it down we will get it ready as soon as possible. In this case, the QB doesn't know how to take a knee and that's their problem, not the officials'.

Had this happened when time was not a factor, no one would have even remembered it. I don't know why the U held the play up but if his explanation is even remotely reasonable, there's NO officiating problem here.

You can't do something strange and expect the officials to behave as if you did something everyone sees at every game.