Thread: GT for the win
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 06:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Outside The Cylinder ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Aren't there times when it could be BI or GT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Not according to the definitions as they are mutually exclusive at the NFHS level.
Nevadaref: I've been taught the same thing, mutually exclusive. Over the years our local interpreters have added the statement "outside the cylinder" to the goaltending definition, but that statement is not in the NFHS rulebook. So if you have a situation where a player touches the ball during a field-goal try, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, while the ball is in the cylinder, and the ball has the possibility of entering the basket in flight, then, by strict interpretation of the written definition, the official can call either a goaltending violation, or a basket interference violation.

I would love to see any citations that include the statement "outside the cylinder" in the definition of goaltending, but without such, bainsey might have a point, and not the point on his head.

NFHS 4-22: Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try or tap
while it is in its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level and has the
possibility of entering the basket in flight.

NFHS 4-6: Basket interference occurs when a player:
ART. 1 Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while
the ball is on or within either basket.
ART. 2 Touches the ball while any part of the ball is within the imaginary
cylinder which has the basket ring as its lower base.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)