View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 01:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
As a few others have said, it may have been the standard expectation in that area for someone else to get the T other than the calling official. We can't really say if they handled it will or not without knowing the protocol expected in that area.

We can, however, discuss whether such a protocol is a good idea or not.

I can see both sides on that point. If the same official gets the T, he does look strong and unafraid to deal with it but it may also look like he's being a hardass. When a 2nd official comes in for the T, it may make them appear more like a team, backing each other up.

This is not unlike the expectation in many areas that the 2nd T on a coach, if they don't settle down after the first, should not come from the same official that issued the first. Many areas expect one of the partners to step of and get the 2nd one. I'm don't think it is really as important on the play at hand but the idea is similar.

Agreed. I'll also add that even if the calling official is expected to have a first crack at it, it's possible the coach's behavior was such that the lead had to come in and get it. Maybe he was too chicken to call it. Maybe he was just waiting until he reported the first foul. The lead just thought he was going to pass on a foul that needed to be called. Hard to say without video, or without talking to the officials who worked this game.