View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

We change crews every two years in my HS chapter. In the past, a lot of crews stayed together (or 4 out of 5 did) for a long time. That's starting to change. I have seen the progression of some guys from one crew, down to another that doesn't have quite the schedule as the first on, and so on. Some guys leave altogether. For us, its important for the crew chief to stick to the 2 year commitment and move on after that if someone needs to retire. I don't see that as a firing since there is no commitment beyond the 2 years.

Up until about 2 years ago, we were seeing crew chiefs that needed to retire stay on and then struggle with a schedule that wasn't close to one they had previously had. When you go from 12-15 games down to 7, then down to 3, you start to get out of the habit of working football on Friday nights and soon find other things to do.

I don't see myself running the clock when I leave the field. I don't like doing that now. However, I *might* go to something like the radio booth -- I've actually been approached about that by a group that's doing high school games.