View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 09:01am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejay View Post
I guess it would be good to know the proper rule for the face mask on the ground but what percent of fielders actually wear a mask and how often do they throw it down? Just curious because I have never seen it or heard of it. Also, although the rule only mentions a catcher's mask, what would be the difference?
To your first question, it really doesn't matter how often we see a fielder wear a mask and then remove it and throw it down. The fact is that it could happen, and the rules as written aren't very clear on how to handle it except for when it obstructs a runner.

What I find telling is that the NFHS casebook does specifically cover removed defensive players' facemasks in a caseplay, 1.8.4.A. And since rule 1-8-3 says only bats and catcher's masks are exempt from the loose equipment definition, then you could argue that NFHS treats those facemasks--as well as batter's helmets, loose shoes, loose hats, etc. etc.--as loose equipment for all intents and purposes.

I guess there's a reasonable expectation that a player isn't going to lose her facemask or batting helmet or hat or shoe or batting glove through the normal course of play. Only bats and catcher's helmets are exempt because they are always discarded.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker