View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 31, 2012, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
Has there been any data come back yet on how many more/fewer kickoffs are returned this year compared to last year? I'm wondering if moving the kicking line and the touchback placement has had an appreciable affect in that regard, since that was the justification for all the moves.

I think the "helmet coming off" rule has resulted in the intended affect, though. I've only seen one helmet come off in my high school games this year, and it was one that we could tell was loose before the game even started but the bull-headed ACs wouldn't tighten his straps.
There is more than 1 official on the rules committee. I don't believe it's a majority but it's enough to have input and influence. We are represented by our state sport commissioner who has officiating only as a small part of his role.

You must work in Texas if you are asking about the kickoff spot changing. That's an NCAA-only change. I'm sure it's had an affect on D1 games but I think we've only had 4 or 5 touchbacks the entire season in our D3 games. The 5-yard head start has probably had more of an impact at our level.

The only thing the helmet rule has done is create more whining from players who can't tighten their helmets that it's getting ripped off. We had 1 player lose his helmet 3 times in 1 quarter! Two of them were on back to back plays he was in. I think the penalty will need to be harsher because these players don't seem to get it. I thought it would eliminate the helmets popping off but the rate seems to be the same or higher.